Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Too many Routers!!!  (Read 2900 times)

peter4076

• Just arrived
Too many Routers!!!
« on: July 31, 2007, 02:10:35 PM »

Hi There
 My first post.
I have just purchased my first router a Thomson Speedtouch 585v6 ADSL2+ Gateway, anyway at the rear of router it says DSL, I haven't got time at the moment to fit the router ( BT box behind tons of stuff & cabinets), so my question is.....................is everything alright.
My ISP is BT.................is ADSL & DSL the same thing.
I've also got a Buffalo G54 router winging its way as we speak, and BT have just delivered me a BT Hub !!!! telling me I was a special customer, and that I would be getting BT Vision totally free!!!, having explained to them that I had just dropped from Option 3 to Option 1, and that I wasn't entitled, they confirmed I was. I rang them to complain that I had been on the Option 4 as it was then, since Noah built his ark, and that I had never received more than 2.2Mbps, and since they dropped me to Option 1, I am now getting 7.6Mbps, not bad for an outdated Speedtouch USB FROG, strange really you ring up to have a bit of a moan, and come away with an arm load of goodies, and by the way, they told me that they would also be sending me a BT Voyager 220v, God knows why, if they have just delivered a BT Hub, thanks for reading my rant, and hope you can help with the ADSL/DSL matter.

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
Re: Too many Routers!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 02:40:53 PM »

Welcome to the forum Peter

>.is ADSL & DSL the same thing.<

Yes they are the same. The A stands for asymmetric ie. different up and down data rates.

Sounds like you need to open an ebay account to shift all those gizmos. :)

peter4076

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 03:03:27 PM »

Astral, I agree coming down with gadgets, but don't you just love em, and if I started talking about all the film cameras I've got, well, I'm embarrassed.
The Buffalo is coming from Ebay, and the Speedtouch ordered yesterday, arrived this morning from dsldepot.co.uk or com not quite sure, and the hub arrived lunchtime, and the maim man from BT is wiring me upto BT Vision for sweet fanny adams sometime in the middle of August will ring 48hrs notice, obviously I've checked it all out, I've told them that I am already digital with Sky+ and multiroom, that I have freeview in a box ready for when my wife & I have the odd self-catering holiday, so have not lead them up the garden path so to speak, oh and I forgot they are going to run a new extension BT box if needed (no charge ), am I living in cloud cuckoo land, that all this is TOTALLY free, I told them also that I have recently retired from 30 years in the Fire Brigade, and I do not want to incur any more expense, thats why I went from Option 3 down to 1, plus I don't download 30 gig a year nevermind a month.
I don't usually talk this much must be the sun..................ah the sun, giver of so much pleasure, anyway will leave you in peace now, have to cut the lawns. ;)

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 03:50:55 PM »

oh and I forgot they are going to run a new extension BT box if needed (no charge ), am I living in cloud cuckoo land, that all this is TOTALLY free

It is free. As an apprentice I spent some time with an engineer installing those set top boxes, I use it myself as well.

You do get a free extension and it can be any colour cable as long as it is white or black and the engineer will run it anywhere as long as it is surface mounted (standard policy, officially, if the customer wants it different, then it is up to them to make it happen). Made life a bit awkward in posh houses!

Rather than having an extension on our poor long line I have the router at the master socket and then a loooong ethernet lead to the set top box. The supplied lead is 3 metres, that is why the extension is provided by the television so that the router (Home Hub supplied) can be located within reach.

Our line is too slow for on-demand to work, but it doesn't seem to make the slightest bit of difference whether you use a home hub or any router. Perhaps it just has some QoS settings set up for the video-on-demand? And of course is completely standardises the engineer and end-user support processes.

I have a rather poorly composed page about Vision here.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 03:53:12 PM by soms »