Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ISP caps and prices  (Read 16752 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
ISP caps and prices
« on: March 09, 2006, 11:41:08 AM »

I try and maintain a list of some of the main ISP's prices and caps on my site :-
ISP prices and caps.

The end column of the table lists whether the ISP is IPStream or DataStream (denoted by IP or DS).
If you want to know the differences between IPStream and DataStream theres an explanation:-
IPStream - v - DataStream

I also welcome any comments in this thread regarding your own experiences on caps or Fair Usage Policies in this thread.

---

Please note that although I do try and keep this information as up to date as I can, I am not able to check the numerous ISP's prices on a daily basis, therefore its recommended that you check the relevant ISP site out yourself before signing up.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

PhilT

ISP caps and prices
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 08:24:57 AM »

Demon Home's problems are well behind it (months). Can you add Demon HomeOffice to the table too as it is ?24.99 for 2M with no shaping/managing/xUP etc.

Phil

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
ISP caps and prices
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 02:32:08 AM »

Hiya phil.

I started doing a major revamp of that page before I went away, and was just waiting for a reply from Eclipse since I couldnt figure out what their traffic shaping was.

Anyhow a couple of weeks later I still havent had a reply, so Im going to put up what I have so far, just so it is more up to date.

Any more comments always appreciated since it takes me the best part of a day to do a full update of this page :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

martinwinter

• Just arrived
Re: ISP caps and prices
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 04:05:29 PM »

After nearly 5 months of problems with BT Broadband, it took only a few seconds for someone to check and find that I had been capped.

When I enquired about what were the used measures, they were happy to advise that they did not publish them! and would not tell me what they were - when I pressed the harder they advised 'off the record' that there was a cap set at around (yes around) 40GB where they would reduce the speeds during peak time only (they suggested this to be between 6pm and midnight) but if the usage crept up to around 100GB (yes around again) they would restrict speeds 24 x 7 - both caps allegedly in place for a month.  However they were not able to tell me what around exactly meant and would confirm none of it in writing. Neither could they advise where I could find the written 'policy'

Therefore having been capped on a monthly usage (number provided by BT) of around 40GB last month, I would have expected no evidence of the restriction past the midnight hour - yet it was there, so I am not sure what time zone they are working on.

When I pointed out that without the information it was impossible to make an informed decision as to which provider the customers could choose, they also were keen to push back and quote that Ofcom agree that they do not have to publish it!

I should also add that they did give me a refund for the last few months, not due to the usage issues but because they did not check if the 'capping' had been applied - However, the promise of apology and confirmation in writing has still not been forthcoming.

This is my own experience as recent as this past 10 days so I do hope that you find this useful.

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 10:48:30 AM »

If they don't define the "capping" in clear unambiguous terms then the contract isn't worth the paper it is printed on. I know people who have variously taken Demon to small claims over this (£350 settlement to customer) and exited Tiscali/BT/CPW/etc contracts for this simple reason.

It is why I always advise people not to have anything to do with Ofcom/Cisas/Otelo/ISPA on contract issues related to FUP/AUP/caps. Ofcom for instance have no authority to advise people/companies on contract terms. Cisas & Otelo are arbitration services which are useless unless you wish to wait at least 3 months. ISPA is funded by ISPs and is as likely to solve your problems as a random passing pedestrian - lets be clear on that one, ISPA are there for ISPs, not customers.

The OFT's (Office of Fair Trading) guidance on unfair contracts is VERY clear and any company which does not have a clear, unambiguous FUP/AUP/cap is screwed if you choose to go to court (small claims track). Their legal advisors know this so they will ALWAYS settle before it gets to court as the judge/magistrate will get VERY annoyed when they try to defend a blatantly one-sided contract.

Business users will find it harder to get a contract defined as "unfair" - in fact in England & Wales I'm not sure it is actually possible for this to happen in a business to business contract.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 01:28:10 AM »

Hi and welcome :)

Not advising a clear FUP and advertising "UNLIMITED" is something that I am strongly against.
Its unfair both on the users and also to those ISPs who do clearly publish their policy as it means that users have no way of comparing ISP performance.

Some ISPs unlimited can be a few hundred GBs, then you have the likes of toucan where it can be just 3GB.

What BT has told you does seem to ring true  in line with the previous published limit of 40GB.  Thanks for the info I'll update the caps page when I get a mo - most appreciated. :)
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 01:37:59 AM »

ps

out of interest what sort of speeds did they throttle you down to?
From my own testing Ive seen peak time speeds reduced to around 1.5Mb - regardless of the FUP not being reached.
-----

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 08:09:11 PM »

Hi
lucky you .without any capping (I haven't done any downloads except updates for my virus,spam,adware progrems) my speed is regularly down to <400Kbps ,still connected at 6400Kbps .
regards.
zen user

Ammit

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 12:28:09 PM »

Eclipse have recently changed all their products around.  They have no traffic management or throttling etc but they have introduced a download limit.  Old packages with unlimited download were suffering due to contention issues.

They use datastream, ipstream and LLU.  LLU is cheaper however.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 03:56:18 PM »

Hi kitz and Rizla

I was very interested to read Rizla's comments about Demon.

Kitz, the entry for Demon presumably means "Home + HomeOffice". Their webpage about the FUP for Home/HomeOffice says that it doesn't apply to Demon's  "Business"-grade services.

What about two entries for Demon? - so that if I ever manage to find out what the FUP/T+Cs are for Demon Business 2000, then I can add them in too. It seems there is no throttling threshhold for Demon Business, well not as far as I can see, but I'll have to do some more digging on the website.

I use Demon Business 2000 principally (IPStream Premium Max), but also have a number of Demon HomeOffice 8000 (IPStream Max) lines. It certainly seems to make them good value in terms of monthly cost vs traffic allowance compared to say Zen, A+A especially for heavy users.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 06:12:00 PM »

Demon Home's problems are well behind it (months). Can you add Demon HomeOffice to the table too as it is ?24.99 for 2M with no shaping/managing/xUP etc.

Phil

I'm on demon home office and not so sure I agree with that bit about 'no shaping', but maybe it's my understanding that's at fault, so let me describe what I see... 

What worries me is the thinkbroadband speed test.  If I select port 80 for test, then the speed reported is oft' as not reasonable , within spitting distance of my IP profile speed (that's currently 3mbps).  However, if I allow the tester to use its port 8095 default then 200kbps is more typical, sometimes up to about 700, and 1200 is the highest I've ever seen during normal hours of service .  I did recently try it in the wee small hours and noticed port 8095 speed was much better, close to my profile and pretty much the same as port 80, but I've not tried that again as I value my sleep too much.

Does that imply traffic shaping or something else?   If the answer's 'something else' then let's not dwell upon it as it might be getting off topic.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 01:02:22 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion Weaver, but TBH I cant see me doing business accounts (at least not at the moment). 
Theres about 160+ products in the database as it is for just for home.  If I start adding business for one, then other ISPs would also be added.  It takes quite a while to keep up to date as it is.. and it took me a few evenings to check and catch up on all the home ones after the VAT changes.

Some ISPs are pretty good and they advise me or Ive got a few RS type feeds for some ISPs.. then theres those that have requested to be added promising to keep me up to date - then dont.. and its not always pleasant rummaging through websites trying to track down what is what.

I could set up with an affiliate type account with feed, which would be easy, but they restrict only to the TT/Tiscali/BT type ISPs.. and I dont think it really serves the public much if I only include about 6 ISPs. 
AFAIK theres only me and TBB that carry such a wide range.  TBB relies on the ISP notifications. DSLZone did for a while, but they dont both anymore and I know some of their prices are years out of date - despite at least 2 ISPs that I know of attempting to get them to update.

The existing d/base is a 'kitz build' and the backend is actually massive for all the ISP info and took a few months to pull together and code.  Theres potential for a lot more stuff there some of which is already in place but Im just not displaying it all yet to the public... and its still ongoing work for when I get change to pull a lot of it all together, which is my next aim.

.... but in the meantime I still have several PMs o/s and 99 o/s emails which I need to do something with.  (That doesnt include spam type mails - theyre all deleted).

[attachment deleted by admin]
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 03:20:20 PM »

> and its not always pleasant rummaging through websites trying to track down what is what.

I hear you. It certainly is! I couldn't find anything concrete, and indeed some ISPs must like to keep it fuzzy.

I perhaps misunderstood. I'm amazed at the amount of work that you've put in. I was assuming that you could do with some volunteers to help with the digging...

I think that what you have is extremely valuable, and there's no problem with saying "don't know", or even "they aren't letting on" as that tells the viewer something about the ISPs attitude.

> 99 o/s emails which I need to do something with
:-)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 03:58:59 PM »

Yes getting/finding the info is often the worst bit.

I have had the foresight to build my own control panel to make things easier for me.. and it will allow me at some point in the future to pass on logins to trusted users/mods/special team if I want.

Like I say the backend stuff is huge, and I will blow my own trumpet saying that Im quite proud of it cause I only taught myself phpl a year ago (although I did have a bit of a headstart by previous programming experience in other languages).

lol at the emails - replied to a whole batch of them yesterday (the easier ones)  - down to just 46 and PMs now.  I dont think Ive been anywhere near up to date with my mail for well over a year   :D
-----

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 01:01:49 PM »

Sky no longer requires a TV package.