Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: BT Phone wiring  (Read 26324 times)

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2006, 01:33:21 PM »

Eric wins on points. :(

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2006, 06:03:28 PM »

Believe it or not I went to a Grammer school, and every year came top of the class in English Lang.  I spent some time in the 70s writing training material.  My spelling has always been atrocious.  Luckily the training stuff was proof read by people that could spell, unlike a certain weekly PC magazine that shall remain nameless.
Like the tale of the van exhausts, my 1st car was a 1948 Austin 16 2300 cc 4 Cyl.  The exhaust front pipe fractured just below the sump at the foot of the hill that goes up through Greenwich Park.  My mother claimed she could hear me coming 15 minutes before I got home.

Getting back to the point I shall do the phone wiring on Monday, when I will have the house to myself, and let you know what disasters happened.
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2006, 06:21:11 PM »

Believe it or not I went to a Grammer school

Believe it or not, so did I, but the first (and in my case only) thing we learnt was how to spell it. :lol:

Post edit:

Oh! and not missing out words that render sentences meaningless.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2006, 06:54:59 PM »

By the way, 'wierd' is spelt 'weird'.  :evil:

Eric
  Eric

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2006, 06:58:32 PM »

Took yer time spotting that "deliberate" mistake. :wink:

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2006, 07:55:55 PM »

I just downloaded & installed IE Spell.

The good news is that it works both on IE and Avant Browser.
The bad news is that I'm using Orca Browser to post this, Orca is Gecko based like wot Firefox is.

Firefox has a spell check extension which can be set use use proper UK English.  Extensions don't yet work on Orca, but as Orca is so much nicer and faster than Firefox then you will all have to put up with my rotten spelling.
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2006, 08:24:12 PM »

Fairy nuff. Just as long as the storeez are amoosing hoo kairs.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2006, 10:26:50 PM »

I thought it might be appropriate at this point to link to this :D
Chris

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2006, 10:35:42 PM »

Nice one Chris :lol:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2006, 07:45:09 AM »

Brilliant. And very true. :)

Eric
  Eric

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2006, 02:31:27 PM »

I should just say that I have consistent speeds & no disconnects, I'm just trying to improve things in advance of the fabled MaxDSL, if and when it ever arrives.

Exchange Results: Slade Green

BT have finished enabling this exchange for Max DSL products.  Products will be available from 31/03/06.

There are currently no known capacity problems on your exchange. There may still be an exchange problem, however BT are not currently reporting that they are aware of it.

Record last updated: 05 Jun 06

You are around 1.94 kilometres (I thought we still used miles in the UK) from your exchange (as the crow flies)

Tests

Original Figures from http://www.dslzoneuk.net/

Speed Test at 21:13 16 July 06 = 1.98 Mbps which is around 252.98 KB/s including overheads

ADSL Link        Downstream     Upstream
Connection Speed         2272 kbps     288 kbps
Line Attenuation            51 db       15.5 db
Noise Margin       13 db       24 db

Based on the values you entered, we estimate that your line can support around 3.0 - 3.8 Mbps.

Revised figures after rewiring.

ADSL Link       Downstream    Upstream
Connection Speed    2272 kbps     288 kbps
Line Attenuation    51 db       15.5 db
Noise Margin    13 db       26 db

Speed Test at 13:09 17.July.06 =1.95 Mbps which is around 249.66 KB/s including overheads

What a waste of time that was, absolutely no change whatsoever.

My BT contact says there may be aluminium cables in the away line where they go underground.  Looks like he may be right. They are about 30 years old now and probably well corroded.

I tried, that's all you can do, I don't suppose BT would fancy replacing the underground cables just to please me.

I was going to cheer myself up by continuing the Slash and Shred programme in the garden, but not in that heat.

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2006, 07:29:18 PM »

The question now is do I tell PN not to upgrade my rock solid 2Mb connaction, or wait & see what MaxDSL brings.  If MaxDSL results in problems can I revert?

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2006, 07:51:10 PM »

Tough call that one. You may gain off peak, but against that you will have speeds going up & down all the time. possibly (probably?) to less than you enjoy now.

Having said that, by the time they start Maxing on a big scale again, some (all? unlikely) of the problems will be ironed out. I think my Maxing came unstuck because it was done without warning and with no proper instructions about what to expect & what to do. There is obviously a lot more experience & hopefully good advice now, so perhaps it is worth the gamble.

Your mission.....should you choose to accept it.....this post will self destruct in 5 seconds. :)

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2006, 08:03:36 PM »

Suck it and see.

Seems the most logical way.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2006, 08:28:16 PM »

Quote from: "feliscatusx2"
If MaxDSL results in problems can I revert?

Yes you can - but there is a BTw regrade fee for carrying out the work.
Therefore PN will charge you ?14.99 to go back to 2Mb traditional adsl if you request it.

[edited to add
- See my warning in next post ]
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything