Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: BT Phone wiring  (Read 26318 times)

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
BT Phone wiring
« on: July 14, 2006, 10:36:31 AM »

At present I have a NTE5 master socket in the hall with extension wiring hard wired into the back of the faceplate.  The wiring wanders all over the house and feeds 5 faceplates.

I have a Netgeat DG834 plugged into the first extension (not the master socket) and 3 corded phones connected where needed. 2 of the phones are brand new (BT duet 60, horrible things) and one is older but the same general type.

Just arrived from Clarity is their standard ADSL faceplate and a clone Crone tool.  The plan is to remake all the connections in the faceplates then fit the ADSL faceplate to the master and use a longer lead to connect the Router direct to the Master.  The objective is to try and reduce Contention (50Db - 1.9 Km from the exchange).

My Pal 2 door down (BT Engineer) says they only ever connect wires to terminals 2 Blue & 5 White/Blue stripe.  I have seens this advice on other sites.  The Faceplate instructions state connect 2 & 5 and also Orange/white to terminal 3.

Which is correct or best, at present I only have 2 & 5 connected and all seems OK although the Duet phones seem to have a very quiet ring.

Sorry for such a long first post but any informed advice would be appreciated.
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 11:10:51 AM »

PS.

I use the Plusnet ?14.99 2Mb package, synched at 2272 and despite that contention figure I'm getting 1.97 Mb at the moment (DSLZone test), sometimes dropping to about 1.89.

Earlier this year I was seeing speeds as low as 65K, but this turned out to be a rubbish router, since junked.

The reason for all the kerfuffle is that I am trying to get the best possible signal in advance of DSLMax, my exchange had been upgraded but nothing heard since.

In view of all the problems others seem to be having I might even ask PN to not upgrade me for now.
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 12:18:03 PM »

Hi there

I'm fairly new to this forum too, but I think I can help you with this problem.

First to clear up a misconception; contention is the number of people sharing a fixed capacity data path, the effect of which is to slow things down at peak periods when lots of people are sharing the capacity. The 50 dB figure you mentioned is attenuation which is the effect of the signal diminishing as the line gets longer & resistance increases.

Going on to your 2 or 3 wire scenario; the third wire was used for the ringing circuit of your extentions, however this harks back to the days when phones had bells which drew a lot of current. Modern phones do not need this ring circuit, but if it is connected it can act as an antenna picking up electrical interference and putting noise on your line which spoils your SNR (signal to noise ratio) and reducing the stability of your connection.

Regrades to Max are on hold at the moment and with your current attenuation you'll probably be better off on 2 Meg fixed. Look at the other excellent articles on this site, and if you improve your line stats after your re-wire etc. it may be worth considering Max if it is going to give you a significant speed increase.

BTW it may be worth investing in a Category 5 cable to your router, rather than ordinary telephone cable.

Hope that helps.

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 12:27:02 PM »

Thanks, you have confirmed my understanding, I will only connect 2 & 5.

PC to Modem connection is via a LAN cable, Clarity also provided a 3M RJ11 to RJ11 cable to connect the Router to the faceplate.

Did I say Contention? I meant Attenuation, Senior Moment there.

Been involved with Computers since 1964, PCs since 1984, I had better go, I feel a nostalgia attack coming on............

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 12:50:00 PM »

I worked for BT before it was BT.

See you back at the old folks home. :D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 03:05:10 PM »

Quote from: "Astral"
I worked for BT before it was BT.

See you back at the old folks home. :D

I've got a friend who still talks about complaining to the GPO when there's a problem with the phone. It must be about 30 years ago when they ceased to exist.

Eric
  Eric

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 03:21:33 PM »

He might get a quicker reply from Post Office Telephones, as it was then, than from any present day, so-called, Customer Service department. :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 07:07:53 PM »

Hi feliscatus

I think astrals probably covered most of it. :)

As regards to the wiring - then PhilT has an excellent article about this on his site.
http://yarwell.blogspot.com/2005_08_01_yarwell_archive.html

>> synched at 2272 and despite that contention figure I'm getting 1.97 Mb

1.97Mbps = 2017kbps

Thats spot on excellent for a traditional 2Mb IPStream adsl syncinc at 2272 kbps.

ATM (and other) overheads mean that you wont see actual speeds of 2272 - the theoritical maximum speed you can ever attain on a 2Mbps is said to be 1920kbps.
Theres a fuller explanation here
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/speeds2.htm

1.89Mb is 1935kbps which many people on a traditional 2Mbps connection would still literally kill for.

>> I am trying to get the best possible signal in advance of DSLMax, my exchange had been upgraded but nothing heard since.

Latest information on the max regrades can be seen here
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1152544680.htm

You may be interested in the paragraph about "queue jumping".

[PlusNet] Customers can continue to place regrade requests via http://max.plus.net and these will be placed once we restart the regrade programme.

[edited re typo in name]
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 08:53:20 PM »

My BT neighbour tells me his homeworking PC was recently upgraded by BT support people from W2K to XP because W2K "would not support a 2Mb ADSL Connection"

Did I mention that I'm still using 98SE? On an old PC with an AMD K6-2 500 processer, with 384 Mb RAM, and it really flys? (Except with Firefox, which I have dumped once again).

I remember GPO telephones when they had little green Morris Vans with rubber front wings.

I can remember trotting down the sweetie shop with my very own little brown Ration Book.

I seem to have forgotten my own name however, Oh well.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 09:16:09 PM »

>>> because W2K "would not support a 2Mb ADSL Connection"

oooh dear :(

I wonder if BT told them that because it could have been a USB modem and driver issue.  In which case they should have been advised use ethernet (or PCI adsl modem).

>> an old PC with an AMD K6-2 500 processer, with 384 Mb RAM, and it really flys?

Yep I can well believe it..  Ive had older PCs than that running without any probs on  adsl. :)

The oldest I have running on my 8Mb connection is a PIII 733Mhz with 384Mb RAM dual boot XP/RH that I built in mid 2000.
At the time it was a beast of a machine but it still seems to handle most things I chuck at it (aside from modern games obviously).
For some reason I love that PC and cant bear to part with it.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 09:33:59 PM »

Just to illustrate how spoiled you lot are now I used to have to order PCs for new people.

These were IBM PS/2s Intel 80286 Processor (I think) with a 30Mb hard disk.

The box cost ?2200, another ?400 for a 12" VGA screen and ?140 for the keyboard.  They threw the cables in for free.

OS was PC DOS 3.3 of fond memory. No other software was provided.

Most needed a TSO (Terminal support option) card, another ?120ish.  This was used to allow the PC to emulate a dumb terminal for the IBM mainframes down the road.  I was the RACF administrator.  I never found out what RACF stood for, but my main job was reissuing RACF passwords to all the clever IT Types who had forgotten them again.  So I would give them a really impossible password, all random alphanumeric characters and puntuation, then allow them 10 minutes to change it before they were locked out.

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 11:49:40 PM »

Whilst we're reminisceing (doesn't look right without the e either) a good trick with those little green morris's, was to coast downhill with the engine in gear but the ignition off (no steering locks then) and when you had a good head of petrol vapour built up, switch on the ignition which, if you got it right, would blow the exhaust system off or at the very least cause the kiddie with the bag of sweets to spill them everywhere with fright. :twisted:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006, 07:39:09 AM »

Do you know something Astral? You're evil :)

(There's no second 'e' in reminiscing).

Eric
  Eric

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2006, 08:03:23 AM »

Thanks for the spellcheck Eric. It looks OK when you spell it that way but looked wierd when I did. BTW you show a remarkable likeness to a paperclip. :lol:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
BT Phone wiring
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2006, 01:06:32 PM »

Well, it's surprising how versatile a paperclip can be. 8)

Eric
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2 3