Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: USB Hard Drive.  (Read 5487 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
USB Hard Drive.
« on: August 05, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »

I have been putting it off for a long time,   I need to get a portable USB Hard drive, something like a 150 > 250GB will do me.
I see you can just buy a USB caddy to put your own standard HD in, Some seem to have just a usb lead and some have a mains suuply to them.
Any comments about them please.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: USB Hard Drive.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 10:53:54 PM »

They work fine, but I personally wouldn't use one which takes its power from the USB connector. A separate power supply may be a bit more cumbersome, but it will be more reliable.

A better technical alternative (though more expensive) is a NAS (network attached storage device) which connects via ethernet.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 11:53:13 PM »

A cheap one with probably do for the odd time I will need to us it, one use is to temporary store the content of a 'home' folder while I format the internal HD and install the latest PCLinuxOS as you cannot just upgrade this last one eg , 2009 to 2010 .

Any one got one they do not use  ;D
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 12:24:05 AM »

USB HDD's up-to about 350 GB that I have noticed do not need a power supply, whereas over that size does, which makes it cumbersome and not that user friendly (I know I have one of each type and much prefer the smaller one without the power supply, which also fits in my shirt pocket if needs be.)

Empty enclosures are aright I suppose if you happen to have spare HDD's lying around.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 09:44:47 AM »

You could use a powered USB hub and plug none powered USB drives into it if you have more than one.

I would echo the use of PC usb power to run devices as I had issues years ago running a Frog (ADSL Modem).

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 10:33:26 AM »

Would that be the BT green Frog? If so, I had one also along with the USB problem.
I agree about using a powered USB hub.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 12:13:34 PM »

Would that be the BT green Frog? If so, I had one also along with the USB problem.
I agree about using a powered USB hub.

Mine is purple but yes the very same one and I still have it somewhere in a router box. :)

You had to make sure it was the only device on that USB port or it would not have enough power to keep it working.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 12:16:03 PM by BritBrat »

hipton

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 02:17:51 PM »

i use a powered usb-hub even though my usb-drives have power supply - they are very slow if i don't power the hub. also not all devices run via the hub if i don't plug it in.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 06:02:08 PM »

I saw a 1Tb USB hard drive iin Tesco today for under £60 (I think), did not look at it in detail as I have a 500Gb NAS box.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 10:28:46 PM »

I got this today  http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149272 and with a £18 120GB HD it works well on Linux  ;)

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 10:09:47 PM »

Had a mishap with the usb lead on the new enclosure and damaged the usb socket on the PCB  >:D, so it's got an intermittent fault  :'(.
I contacted eBuyer and they are going to send a Free replacement in the post  :) and not to send the faulty one back. :o
That's excellent service  ;)
Well done 'eBuyer'

jaydeee

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 12:37:54 PM »

I also like doing things on my own - DIY, however for external HDD I prefer buying than making it. :)