Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Flash Sky DG834GT - best method?  (Read 12902 times)

happy37

• Reg Member
Flash Sky DG834GT - best method?
« on: August 04, 2010, 07:50:04 PM »

Hello everyone

Am still on the up to 8mb O2LLU service...things were going well until a couple of weeks ago when my Thomson o2 wireless box II got upgraded by O2 from version 7.4.20.5 of the firmware to version 8.2.23.0.

And then my problems started    >:(    :(    :o    :no:

That was my second O2 router that was in use until then.

This has now been replaced by a 3rd one by O2, but I am currently having problems with intermittent Internet access with the O2 router. The lights on the O2 box are all lit green, but I get no throughput unless I reboot the router, or ping the secondary o2 gateway - 94.194.48.2. This sometimes works, and sometimes it doesn't.

I am currently using a Netgear DG834 v4 wireless router with original Netgear firmware 5.01.09 on there.

Does anyone know or can point me in the right direction of the DGTeam DG Team firmware version V5.01.12 Rev. 0849, please?

I am using the original Netgear firmware 5.01.09 with the ucast_solicit fix, but I would like to see if I can upgrade the firmware on either :-

1. This router (DG834 v4) to the DGTeam DG Team firmware version V5.01.12 Rev. 0849 and use the ucast_solicit fix on a temporary basis.....or.....

2. This router (DG834 v4) to the new version 1018 DGTeam firmware???   I haven't had any luck in running the Recovery Utility in Windows XP, and the upgrade also fails using the Web upgrade panel in the router config pages (192.168.0.1)

@Roseway, I see that you have mentioned in this thread:-

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,7758.0.html

that.......

If you have access to a Linux machine then I would suggest using NFTP as recommended on the DGTeam site. There's the alternative of the Puppy-Linux self-booting OS.

Can you please clarify this for me - would I have a machine as such if I have now got access to the Puppy-Linux self-booting OS on a CD, and I can boot this CD to the Puppy desktop, I can see the icons and I can also see the USB key that I plug into my PC. Does this indicate that I have got a Linux machine as such, or is this just the self-booting Puppy Linux?

What I need to know next is how to proceed to flash the newly purchased Sky DG834GT white router which I purchased earlier today online.

If I get hold of this tomorrow, I would like someone on here to advise me as to how I should get rid of the Sky firmware on there (if it is still on there???), and then should I flash the original Netgear DG834GT firmware on there?

Or should I just proceed to flash the DGTeam firmware version 1018 that is available for this router on the DGTeam website?

What would the best method of doing this, please? I am currently inclined to use the Puppy Linux OS to flash the DG834GT.

Could someone please let me know the best method to do so - the web panel upgrade, the Netgear recovery utility in Windows XP, or Puppy Linux? If it is Puppy Linux, can someone please kindly point me in the direction of some instructions so that I can read and use these?

I hope this information is of some use to everyone...please excuse the length of the post...I am trying to give as much information as is possible.

My PC specs (I have 2):-

PC1 - ASUS P4PE motherboard with circa 10/2002 BIOS.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?modelname=P4PE

Windows XP SP3, 2GB RAM, Liteon DVD-ROM drive and a Sony DVD rewriter, 256MB PNY NVIDIA GE-Force AGP 8x graphics card, onboard SoundMax audio. 2 of Western Digital PATA HDDs, 320GB each.

PC2 - VIA P4V88 motherboard with 2005 BIOS - version 1.80.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=p4v88

Windows 7 Pro, 2GB RAM, Liteon DVD-ROM drive and a Sony DVD rewriter, 256MB PNY NVIDIA GE-Force AGP 8x graphics card, Creative PCI soundcard, 2 of Western Digital PATA HDDs, 160 and 200GB each.

I hope this helps - please let me know if you need any more info.

I am using Puppy Linux version 4.3.1.

Many thanks for reading.....I look forward to all responses and advice in due course..I am looking to use the Netgear DG834GT router on my line with the DGTeam firmware 1018 which fixes the loss of routing problem that O2 is having at the moment on a permanent basis, or at least until O2 advise me and others that their problems are completely fixed.

Regards

happy37
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 07:58:36 PM by happy37 »

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Re: Flash Sky DG834GT - best method?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 08:35:26 PM »

What I need to know next is how to proceed to flash the newly purchased Sky DG834GT white router which I purchased earlier today online.

First you need an XP machine to do it on, then follow these instructions:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/skyDG834GT_flash.htm

It is really easy.

I also use that sometimes to put the DGteam firmware on but I would first unlock it with Netgear firmware.

To get the DGteam firmware you have to register at the site unless he has opened it up recently.
http://dgteam.ilbello.com

BUT I would avoid never versions for the GT.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 08:40:00 PM by BritBrat »

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 08:54:09 PM »

First you need an XP machine to do it on, then follow these instructions:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/skyDG834GT_flash.htm

It is really easy.

I also use that sometimes to put the DGteam firmware on but I would first unlock it with Netgear firmware.

To get the DGteam firmware you have to register at the site unless he has opened it up recently.
http://dgteam.ilbello.com

@BritBrat

Good evening - many thanks for your reply.

So, is it really as easy as that?

I take it that you're saying that I wouldn't have to use Puppy Linux at all for flashing the router then?

Sorry for asking again, but what do you mean by this? - use what exactly???

I'm already registered at the DGTeam site.

Surely you mean newer versions? = so, what version of the firmware would you/do you use at the moment?

Thanks again - look forward to hearing from you.

happy37

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 07:56:02 AM »

Good morning all,

Can anyone else please help with my query as I asked to BritBrat last night?

Many thanks...

happy37

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 08:11:44 AM »

The Puppy Linux option is a way of using the Linux nftp utility for people who don't have an actual Linux system to use. It boots into a minimal Linux system without writing anything to your hard disk. I haven't used this system, so I'm afraid that I can't offer any more details, but I presume that nftp is included in the Puppy system, and you can put the firmware on a USB stick in order to install it (or maybe you have to put the firmware and the nftp program on a USB stick).

However, if you have an XP machine you can use the Netgear recovery utility to do the same job, so you don't need to get involved with the Linux options. Just follow the procedure shown on the Kitz page which BritBrat linked to. What he was suggesting is that you install the standard Netgear firmware first (using the above procedure) and then install the DGTeam firmware afterwards, using the same procedure.

The point about recent versions of the DGTeam firmware is that there have been several comments on the DGTeam forum about problems with recent versions, so it would be safer to install version 1012 if you can find it.
  Eric

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 08:56:49 AM »

The Puppy Linux option is a way of using the Linux nftp utility for people who don't have an actual Linux system to use. It boots into a minimal Linux system without writing anything to your hard disk. I haven't used this system, so I'm afraid that I can't offer any more details, but I presume that nftp is included in the Puppy system, and you can put the firmware on a USB stick in order to install it (or maybe you have to put the firmware and the nftp program on a USB stick).

However, if you have an XP machine you can use the Netgear recovery utility to do the same job, so you don't need to get involved with the Linux options. Just follow the procedure shown on the Kitz page which BritBrat linked to. What he was suggesting is that you install the standard Netgear firmware first (using the above procedure) and then install the DGTeam firmware afterwards, using the same procedure.

The point about recent versions of the DGTeam firmware is that there have been several comments on the DGTeam forum about problems with recent versions, so it would be safer to install version 1012 if you can find it.

Eric

Good morning - many thanks for the concise explanation, you couldn't have made it any simpler than that.    :)    ;)

I think that I'll go down the route of using my XP machine and will use the Netgear recovery utility to do the job. I'll install the standard Netgear firmware first, and then I'll give the DGTeam one a go. Out of interest, what Netgear one do you recommend, please, as there are a few to choose from on their pages?

I understand the debate about the DGTeam latest fimware having some issues, but as I said in my original post, I would like to use the Netgear DG834GT router on my line with the DGTeam firmware 1018 which fixes the loss of routing problem that O2 is having at the moment on a permanent basis, or at least until O2 advise me and others that their problems are completely fixed.

Are you aware if any previous version of the DGTeam firmware fixes this problem or not? - please advise.

Can you point me in the right direction to locate the 1012 version, in case I might need a copy?

Many thanks once again for the advice, much appreciated.

Regards

happy37

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 10:08:22 AM »

Don't use the 1018 just find the 1012.

If you google search you may find it or you can donate to the DGteam site for it I think, best to ask first.

Or best advice is stick to the Netgear firmware untill things get sorted out.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 10:10:36 AM by BritBrat »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 10:10:31 AM »

For the Netgear firmware, almost certainly the latest version (1.03.23) would be the best choice (but I don't know if this is affected by the O2 routing problem).

If you want to try DGTeam version 1012, I've got a copy which I'm sure I could find a way to send to you if you can't find it on the net.

Eric

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 10:15:33 AM »

@BritBrat

Thanks for the advice - have noted this in case I might have problems.

@roseway

Does version 1012 fix the O2 routing problem or not? - I might as well give 1018 a go to see what happens, and will indeed post back and let everyone know how this goes.

Could I please have a copy of the 1012 firmware please?

Can I send you my email address in a PM?

Please advise - thanks for the offer and help.

Much appreciated.

Regards

happy37

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 10:28:15 AM »

If I recall the O2 problem was with LLU service, I was on O2 Access and never had those issues but I am not sure I would have noticed as the Access product is broken anyway.

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 10:31:08 AM »

Yes, BritBrat, AFAIK, this problem is/was? with the O2 LLU service.

Don't know about the Access product as I'm not on that - am on LLU as originally stated.

Thanks

happy37

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 10:33:41 AM »

Does version 1012 fix the O2 routing problem or not?

Sorry, I have no idea.
  Eric

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 10:39:52 AM »

roseway

Many thanks - am willing to try the 1012 version.

Will also give the 1018 version a go too - want to arrange something so that you can send me a copy of 1012 please?

Thanks.

happy37
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 10:42:39 AM by happy37 »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 11:10:25 AM »

I've PM'd you with a download link for v1012.
  Eric

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 11:14:17 AM »

roseway

Many thanks for the link.

I will try things out with this one as well as 1018 and will definitely post back with my results.

Regards

happy37
Pages: [1] 2

anything