Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DNS servers  (Read 16287 times)

Golfer

• This is how I THINK I look
DNS servers
« on: August 01, 2010, 09:55:46 AM »

Good morning all!

I hope this is the correct section for my enquiry?

I moved home recently and had to change ISP from Tiscali to TalkTalk.  My Tiscali connection speed was around the 6Mb mark, now on TT it is only around 2.9Mb.  I understand this has a lot to do with distance from exchange/users on line etc. so I think my options to increase my speed may be limited.  Is there a tutorial that guides you through various settings/tweaks that may improve matters?

Also, there is a reference in a recent CA mag about changing DNS servers to speed up browsing.  I did a 'google' but I'm still a bit confused!  Specifically, on my system, I have both TCP/IPv4(local) and TCP/IPv6(limited) installed.  Do I have to change the DNS settings on both or just the latest version? And would I need to change the router settings also?

Thanks in advance

Rich
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
Run like **************!
AH 1945

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: DNS servers
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 10:18:30 AM »

I moved home recently and had to change ISP from Tiscali to TalkTalk.  My Tiscali connection speed was around the 6Mb mark, now on TT it is only around 2.9Mb.  I understand this has a lot to do with distance from exchange/users on line etc.

That's correct,but unless you have moved house then the distance from the exchange is the same no matter who your isp is.

Have a look here

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

and here

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 10:33:53 AM »

Changing to different DNS servers won't have any effect on download speeds. DNS is the service which converts internet URLs (e.g. bbc.co.uk) to numbers (e.g. 212.58.224.138) and some DNS servers are faster than others; this can affect the speed of loading of web pages, particularly those with lots of embedded links to other pages, such as adverts. Changing to different DNS servers isn't likely to have a dramatic effect on your life unless your ISP's servers are particularly bad.

Concerning your reduced connection speed, the router stats (see UncleUB's link above) may give us a clue, but it rather looks as though you may have been put on a lower speed profile.
  Eric

Golfer

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 11:21:41 PM »

Hi both and thanks for the replies.

As I said, I've moved house!  My previous ISP, Tiscali, was no longer available to new connections so I went with TalkTalk (who bought out Tiscali) as they had virtually the identical deal available as I had previously been on.

My old line gave me about 6Mb speed.  My new line gives around 2.9Mb (it's an 'up to 8Mb' deal).  I assume the difference between the two is because I am now on a different exchange than before, further away than before and there is probably more traffic on the line.  What I would like to know, is there any way I can improve my line speed etc from my end, or is it entirely at the ISP's end?  Are there any tweaks I can make that would make a difference?  If it is the ISP, how would I go about getting a better profile/speed? 

The DNS server question is that I found two TC/IP versions installed - v4(set as 'local') and v6(set as 'limited').  If I changed to non-ISP servers, would I need to change the settings in both versions or just the latest one (assuming v6), or could I delete the older version and just use the latest?  Also, would I need to change the router settings to match the connection settings?

I don't like to poke about with things I don't really understand (there lies madness!) without taking advice from you good folks first!

Regards

Rich
Run like **************!
AH 1945

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 06:42:55 AM »

Hi

Do you have any internal wiring/extensions that is/are in use.The best way if possible is to plug your router into the main BT socket and monitor your connection for a few days.

Post your router stats on here so they can be analysed,how to do that here

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

Golfer

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 09:26:48 AM »

Hi Uncle UB, thanks for that.

Equipment connected to 'first in' line box - no extensions used.  Stats as follows:

Router EchoLife HG520b   (TT standard issue)

ADSL State                            Show Time
Data Path                              Interleaved
Op mode                                ADSL2
Bandwidth down/up (kbps)       3056/793
SNR Margin down/up (dB)         10.0/13.0
Attenuation down/up (dB)        47.0/28.5
Power down/up (dBm)              0.0/12.3
CRC down/up                         37/65503
FEC down/up                         2782/65513
HEC down/up                         625/0
PVC Select                            PVC -0     (only option available at these settings)

Hope these numbers make sense!

I notice that the bandwidth down figure has increased slightly. I gather that this can vary during the day and that it is better to leave the router permanently 'on' as this can also affect the profile?  The router connected 'out of the box' with no config input from me.  I haven't had any connection probs to date, it has been running approx 3 months (hope I've not jinxed it now!) and the line has been stable so far.  Computer runs Vista Home Prem SP2.

BTW - and unrelated - if anyone could tell me how to take a screenshot and post the results I would be most grateful!  It would save a lot of time and pencil lead!

Many thanks

Rich
Run like **************!
AH 1945

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 09:37:41 AM »

With a downstream attenuation of 47db you should be syncing around 5500kbps with an IP profile of 4500kbps

Golfer

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 04:45:28 PM »

With a downstream attenuation of 47db you should be syncing around 5500kbps with an IP profile of 4500kbps

Ok! Bear with me! 

So from that, I should be seeing an average d/l speed of 5.5Mb? The IP profile figure means nothing to me I'm afraid!  What would I need to do to get this increased?  My end or the ISP?

Very grateful for your help   :)

Rich
Run like **************!
AH 1945

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 05:03:57 PM »

Would I be right in believing that you're on the TT Essentials LLU package? If so, the IP profile doesn't apply, because that's a BT IPStream characteristic. But it's true that your connection speed is lower than it ought to be for your level of attenuation. This isn't directly the fault of your ISP - it could be the condition of your line, or your own household wiring. You can read about improving your connection here, but in the first instance I suggest that you try connecting the router to the test socket to see if that improves the connection speed.
  Eric

Golfer

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 10:04:14 PM »

Would I be right in believing that you're on the TT Essentials LLU package? If so, the IP profile doesn't apply, because that's a BT IPStream characteristic. But it's true that your connection speed is lower than it ought to be for your level of attenuation. This isn't directly the fault of your ISP - it could be the condition of your line, or your own household wiring. You can read about improving your connection here, but in the first instance I suggest that you try connecting the router to the test socket to see if that improves the connection speed.

Hi Eric, thanks for the reply.  Yes, I am on the TT Essentials LLU package.

The router is plugged into the first entry socket into the property but it doesn't have a test socket.  This socket has obviously been replaced at some point in the past before we took over the property.  It does carry the 'master socket' tag internally however, as we discovered when running extensions to other rooms/alarm system etc.  All of the slave sockets are filtered and when tested give the same levels (more or less) as per the figures above - this also depends on the time of day.  There is no discernible noise on the line and the phone clarity is good when on a call, both when the computer is on line and off line.  We don't suffer drop out problems, just a general slowdown from time to time which, in all honesty isn't too much of an issue as we don't download huge files as a rule.  I have read up on various tweaks to try and improve matters but prefer to get the opinion of those more knowledgeable than me before wading in and making things worse!

As you may have gathered, I only have a vague grasp of the technicalities of these things but am learning bit by bit!

Thanks again

Rich
Run like **************!
AH 1945

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 10:38:12 PM »

Hi
You are losing some synch rate ,that is probably in part at least because your Target SNR margin(or its equivalent )is at least 9db. With each 3 db above 6db costing up to 1200Kbps (depending on bit loading).
Regards Jeff
zen user

Golfer

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 10:15:21 AM »

Hi
You are losing some synch rate ,that is probably in part at least because your Target SNR margin(or its equivalent )is at least 9db. With each 3 db above 6db costing up to 1200Kbps (depending on bit loading).
Regards Jeff

Hi Jeff - thanks for that.  Is there anything that can be done to improve this by me or do I need to contact the ISP to 'juice' it up a bit?  Also, is there a way to find out what my line is actually capable of supporting?

Cheers, Rich
Run like **************!
AH 1945

Zoe

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 05:24:32 PM »

Hi Golfer  :)

Wouldn't bother trying to phone Talk Talk  :no:

You'd be better off getting help from their staff on the Talk Talk forum: http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/

If you have problems getting in to the forum.. See Here: http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45586

Re: Slow Speeds

See Here: http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45537
They say it's only supposed to be the IPStream people that are affected.
But I believe it's also having an effect on LLU customers too  :(

Re: DNS

Talk Talk have and still are having problems with their DNS servers.
I'm Using Google DNS  8)
Find that pages load faster  - & - Never see... " Page Not Found "

Google DNS
Primary = 8.8.8.8
Secondary = 8.8.4.4
Just put mine in my router - & - No need to do anything with IPv4 or IPv6  :no:

Zoe

Talk Talk - Faster Fibre: 38/10
Estimated Download Speed 39Mbps to 40Mbps.
Minimum Guaranteed Speed 35Mbps
Actual Sync Speed 31Mbps Down & 8Mbps Up
Modem/Router: Netgear D6400

Golfer

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 09:48:25 PM »

Hi Golfer  :)

Wouldn't bother trying to phone Talk Talk  :no:

You'd be better off getting help from their staff on the Talk Talk forum: http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/

If you have problems getting in to the forum.. See Here: http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45586

Re: Slow Speeds

See Here: http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45537
They say it's only supposed to be the IPStream people that are affected.
But I believe it's also having an effect on LLU customers too  :(

Re: DNS

Talk Talk have and still are having problems with their DNS servers.
I'm Using Google DNS  8)
Find that pages load faster  - & - Never see... " Page Not Found "

Google DNS
Primary = 8.8.8.8
Secondary = 8.8.4.4
Just put mine in my router - & - No need to do anything with IPv4 or IPv6  :no:

Zoe

Hi Zoe, thanks for your reply.

Yes, I'm already signed up to TT's forums and was thinking that was the way to go.  I had a problem getting through to TT Customer Services recently (as in finding it impossible - auto menu cutting me off and them not replying to emails!) and found the forum mods to be very helpful.  My problem was resolved very quickly.  I have switched to Google's servers already and will monitor performance to see if things improve.

As for a speed increase, where do I need to go and what is it I ask for?  My speed isn't dire and I don't suffer from drop-outs etc.  My router stats suggest I should be getting around 5.5Mb but I'm around 3Mb.  Should I be grateful for what I have or is it worth a punt to see if they can beef it up?  I'm a firm believer in fair play - if it says 8Mb on the tin................................!!

Thanks again,  Rich
Run like **************!
AH 1945

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 07:11:33 AM »

I'm a firm believer in fair play - if it says 8Mb on the tin................................!!

If you read the T&C's closely you will see its up to 8mb/20mb/24mb or whatever package you are on.

As already stated it depends on your distance to the local exchange as to how fast a speed your line can support.

You can try phoning TT's support,but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Tbh I don't think your problem has anything to do with DNS

The router is plugged into the first entry socket into the property but it doesn't have a test socket.  This socket has obviously been replaced at some point in the past before we took over the property.  It does carry the 'master socket' tag internally however, as we discovered when running extensions to other rooms/alarm system etc.

I would certainly double check all your internal wiring again.I'm not sure if BT (Openreach) will come and fit you a new master socket (with a test socket)foc,someone else might be able to answer that.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 07:20:33 AM by UncleUB »
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything