Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TalkTalk Monitoring its Customers Online Activity Without Consent  (Read 2969 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen

I have just seen this on another forum and refers to an article here on ISP Review. There has been a lengthy discussion on the TT forum here.

Apparently they say they are only trying to collect the URL being visited so they can create black/white lists for a future security/parental controls opt-in system which will identify adult or infected web sites.

Certainly raises some concerns since the software being used to the the monitoring is from Huwai the Chinese manufacturer, who apparently has full access to the data being gathered.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: TalkTalk Monitoring its Customers Online Activity Without Consent
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 11:06:39 PM »

Ooooh - errr

Bit sneaky.  Ive read through a large portion of the thread and TT's official reply can be seen here.

We are developing some really exciting new security and parental control services, which will be based deep within our network infrastructure, to provide our customers with greater protection for all the devices they connect to their broadband line with. We’ve had considerable feedback from customers that PC-based software only deals with part of the wider security problem facing today's internet users, so we’ve developed these new services to help improve our customers online experience with us.

In preparation for the launch of these services, as our users surf the internet, details of websites visited are put into a list. Scanning engines then compare this list to a blacklist (sites that have been found to contain recent threats) and whitelist (sites that have been recently scanned with no threats found); if the site is not on either of these, it will visit the site and scan it for malicious code. Sites that are already on either list are not scanned again until the following day.

Our scanning engines receive no knowledge about which users visited what sites (e.g. telephone number, account number, IP address), nor do they store any data for us to cross-reference this back to our customers. We are not interested in who has visited which site - we are simply scanning a list of sites which our customers, as a whole internet community, have visited. What we are interested in is making the web a safer place for all our customers.

In due course we will be trialing and launching these services. We hope to be able to share more info on all of this soon.

>>> some really exciting new security and parental control services

hmm maybe Im too suspicious but arent there already official white and blacklists already used by many ISPs, and software which will do this, and why continually stalking their users to regather information.  Im sure there must be a bit more to it than this :/

>> since the software being used to the the monitoring is from Huwai the Chinese manufacturer, who apparently has full access to the data being gathered.

Indeed...   I also heard a few years back that some gov deps had concerns about the Huawei MSANs being used

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 10:35:51 PM »

Hi
If I was with TT I would be moving out pronto.

Regards Jeff
zen user

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 11:09:21 PM »

Well I used to be fairly familiar (some said intimate  :-X ) with RIPA among other relevant legislation and that looks like a direct contravention to me.  >:D

gs1norwich

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 01:20:46 PM »

I think BT are trying to implement something similar, although would they ever admit it ;)

I just got a "free" upto 20mb upgrade and in the email sent by BT they urge me to download and install isposure,
http://www.isposure.com/index.htm
a supposed anonymous monitoring tool that BT can use to diagnose and monitor your line :(
Yes ok BT, i will of course be installing this bloatware/spyware on my system, jesus i have never installed any ISP software and never will
When i signed upto BT i originally installed their software to get the Internet account set up,
then i formatted my PC to remove all the crap they installed

anything