Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC and local cabling  (Read 3758 times)

pintosal

• Reg Member
FTTC and local cabling
« on: July 27, 2010, 09:28:48 AM »

Around Maidenhead all the cabinets are being converting by Openreach to house the new equipment for FTTC. As far as I can tell, the new cabinets now house the equivalent of the DSLAMs which were in the exchange.

Currently, my phone line goes to a pole, and then on to the nearest cabinet, where it joins hundreds of others. They are bundled into a big cable and thence to the exchange. In my case, the length of cable is 3.6 km and is subject to noise etc. My max synch rate that I can hold reliably is around 3.6Mb/s

When the Maidenhead exchange switches across to FTTC later this year, what will happen to my wires? Will my analogue line still continue all the way back to the exchange, or will it terminate and get multiplexed onto the fibre at my nearest (new) cabinet?

If it does get multiplexed, then my line will only be a couple of hundred metres long. So does that mean that I will now get the full 8Mb/s and lower noise?

Here's hoping ...

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: FTTC and local cabling
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 10:27:05 AM »

Hi Pintosal,

My understanding needs confirmation, but here's my take on the situation. (Others please comment)

Firstly I don't think anything will change before you pay BT for a better service.
When you do pay I believe your line will be connected using SMPF (Shared Metallic Path Facility) which in human speak means an ADSL filtering arrangement is used in your FTTC.
In real terms the line from your house will still terminate in the old PCP. It will be disconnected from the E side cable to the exchange there and connected into the link cable to the new FTTC, then a second pair in the link cable will return the phone part of the cct. and be reconnected to the existing E side pair, assuming nobody makes a mistake in the process.

Also assuming your D side line remains in good condition and as it is so short, you should get a substantially improved connection at some extra cost. The usual caveats re contention etc. still apply.

Note this differs from the Rutland solution which uses FMPF (Full Metallic Path Facility). This method diverts your D side phone line direct into the FTTC and is terminated (and isolated) there. Rutland then provide a full VOIP service sending your voice data over the internet connection to a VOIP service provider.

With the BT solution I believe you will still have to pay standard line rental as well as your broadband fee, but with the Rutland solution one single payment to them covers their call charges and sub-loop unbundling rental and their broadband fee in a single payment.

Note also this FTTC VOIP differs from the current e.g. Zen type VOIP where the outgoing calls are sent via their internet connection, but incoming calls are still routed via the old BT PSTN.

It's all very simple when you know how, but just try explaining this to the population !

Kind regards,
Walter

anything