Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Internet Problem  (Read 4402 times)

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
Internet Problem
« on: February 10, 2011, 08:35:36 AM »

Posted this thread a while back and still having problems.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,8609.0.html

I have attached a screenshot of the setup below

The intermittent loss of internet manifests itself on one pc only. At such time the pc needs to be rebooted (sometimes twice) and then all is fine again for perhaps a day.

The ADSL itself is fine ie router is not rebooting or frozen because the Vonage ATA works fine when the problematic pc looses internet connection.

I left some instructions with my relative (whose pc this is) but given that she is in her 80s, this issue is a bit difficult to resolve.

As regards the problematic pc itself, I changed the wired NIC ( Netgear FA311) changed the RJ45 cable leading to the DG834Gv2 as well as trying a known working port on the device (DG834Gv2) all to no avail.

I am now convinced that there must be some form of software corruption on the pc itself and to this end have searched extensively and have compiled a hit list of items to look at.

1. Re-install driver for wired NIC
2. Repair the TCP/IP stack
3. Repair Winsock

I did leave tell my relative that when the internet to the pc dropped again to use the browser and get google via an IP address (ie http://, which I left in the browsers address bar) this in order to ascertain whether the pc could not resolve DNS names. My relative said that when they tried to do that but the last digit on the IP address octed changed and they could not connect.

As regards the 3 points list which I compiled above, does anyone have any ideas suggestions as to whether I should do all three. I have never been faced with this type of problem before and have never tried to repair either the TCP/IP stack or Winsock.

Any info much appreciated.

Cheers

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 08:47:10 AM by risk_reversal »

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: Internet Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 03:28:52 PM »

Hi

any chance of running PC connected directly to DG834GT even temporarily?

Either using long RJ45 to the DG834GT or moving the DG834GT to the pc and using long extension cable to phone socket ,May reduce synch rate but could prove that the PC is definitely the problem .

Regards Jeff
zen user

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 06:30:52 PM »

Thanks for the reply jeffbb but it is definitely the pc that is the issue for reason that previously another router (the DG834Gv2 which is now used as a switch and wap) was used without the homeplugs and it caused the same problem.

The reason I recently added the homeplugs (and purchased the DG834GT) was because I wanted to rule out that router was not the issue.

Also remember that the Vonage ATA always works when the problematic pc looses internet.

Cheers

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 07:21:42 PM »

As well as the hit list items try performing a malware/virus scan, and run HijackThis to get a log of what's going on.

Also check that the MTU settings are correct.

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 09:19:28 PM »

As well as the hit list items try performing a malware/virus scan, and run HijackThis to get a log of what's going on.

Also check that the MTU settings are correct.

HJT, malware and av scan all coming up completely clean.

MTU settings all correct both in router and in XP.

But I will double check those again

Cheers

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 08:36:58 PM »

Hi

This link might be a quick way to sort any possible MTU problems

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,8616.msg179506.html#msg179506

Regards Jeff
zen user

anything