Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Gas and Electric companies !.  (Read 5387 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Gas and Electric companies !.
« on: August 05, 2007, 11:50:20 PM »

Hello all.
We are just having a GAS service connected.  :)

Which company are you with ?, do you have gas and electric from the same company ?, are you satisfied with them ?.

I do realise that not all companies serve the whole country.

Michael
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

dave.m

• Kitizen
Re: Gas and Electric companies !.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 12:06:01 AM »

Hi Michael,
We have just switched from Brit Gas to Powergen on 1st Aug so cannot tell you what our new supplier is like yet.

Cannot get dual fuel where we live (in a Park Home) because we buy our electricity off the site owner. But probably at a better price because he gets one bill for the whole site at a bulk rate and we each pay for what we have used on our meter. None of this where the first X units are at so much and the rest at another rate.

As you will be a new customer of any gas supplier do you have a choice of who you can use as a supplier?
If so choose any one EXCEPT BG.

In twelve months time use the comparison company Energy Helpline BUT link to it from here:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity
and, if the offer is still on, they will pay you £15 of the switching fee that they get for changing you over.

It will take about a year to get some average usage figures for you gas demands, then you can get single or even dual fuel pricing comparisons.

Hope that helps
dave

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 12:15:43 AM »

I've had both gas & electric from Powergen for quite some time. Not had any problems, meters read fairly regularly. The last time I checked on Uswitch I could have got cheaper from Scottish Power, but there wasn't that much in it.

Possibly worth bearing in mind for the long term is that Powergen's  German parent company, Eon, owns/operates a lot of the pipelines bringing gas i from Eastern Europe & Russia. This may mean that Powergen would get preferential rates if things get sticky with Putin turning the tap off.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 06:58:43 AM »

I'm currently switching away from Powergen to Scottish Power, and I expect to save about £100 a year by doing so (according to SimplySwitch). The other reason for the change was that I was seriously peeved with Powergen because they had allowed me to build up a credit balance of over £400, and hadn't reduced my monthly payments in a recent review. I only pay them £70 a month, so that's about 6 months worth of overpayment.
  Eric

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 09:25:54 AM »

I've been with Scottish Power for about 5 years on a dual fuel arrangement and they have been very good.  I first had a three year price capped deal and am now on their "Price Fall" deal which is capped until Oct 2008 but allows price cuts during that time.  The prices have generally been very competitive except for a periodFebruary to May this year when they were slow to cut tariffs.  However they actually read the meter every 3 months and regularly adjust the monthly direct debit if initial estimates of usage are proving wrong.  I have also found their customer and accounts service centres to be good and responsive (but I use www.SAYNOTO0870.com to get the geographic number for contacting them rather than the 0845 number they provide).

conor

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 10:18:29 AM »

I've had both gas & electric from Powergen for quite some time. Not had any problems, meters read fairly regularly. The last time I checked on Uswitch I could have got cheaper from Scottish Power, but there wasn't that much in it.

Possibly worth bearing in mind for the long term is that Powergen's  German parent company, Eon, owns/operates a lot of the pipelines bringing gas i from Eastern Europe & Russia. This may mean that Powergen would get preferential rates if things get sticky with Putin turning the tap off.

Don't forget you can get Tesco Clubcard points with PowerGen as well.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 10:28:19 AM »

Hi,Scottish Power are one of the cheapest,get an online tariff,you submit your bill every 90 days when they send you an email.When you have submitted your readings it will tell you exactly how much your bill is and whether your in credit or not.Been with them 18 months now,no complaints at all.

ralphw

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 10:19:41 AM »

I'm with Atlantic Gas and Electric and they are usually near the top of the best priced list, and having stayed with them for over 2 years I now get and annual bonus of one months payment on both gas and electric.  Two months before this was due this year I got a letter from them saying that since I had been paying a fairly low amount on both gas and electric I would have to increase my DD to catch up. So 2 months later I get the cash back of this increased monthly amount.... ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 11:43:39 AM »

I'm rather boring and get gas from my gas Co and my leccy from PowerGen.

It kind of amazes me that the Gas Co says that they can give me cheaper electricity and PowerGen say they can give me cheaper gas  ???

Anyhow after seeing my parents having problems when switching both to the gas co, and my bro having probs when switching both to the leccy co (or vice versa), then I decided to leave well alone.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 11:46:04 AM »

I'm with Atlantic for both gas and electric too. No complaints, plus the yearly refund for loyalty.

scottiesmum

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 12:08:30 PM »

This is of no help at all   :no:   but I thought I'd just let you know our electricity is provided by EDF  and our gas arrives  in 39 Kilo bottles !!   ;D

Achilles Last Stand

• Kitizen
  • http://www.saveplanetrock.co.uk/ Save Planet Rock!
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 12:48:34 PM »

I'm with Powergen for both - switched about three years ago as they were the cheapest by far... then when everyone hiked up their prices, guess which one rose the most....

But they seem to have evened out again so I have stayed put.  Can't see the sense in changing every time there's a price rise when they all take turns at being cheapest - I'd never be off the computer :)

Lalalala lalalala [can't hear you lot saying 'you're never off it now' lol!]

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 10:11:46 PM »

Thanks for your info.  :)
We have our electric from Powergen, so I may just take the easy way out and get them to install A gas meter ( I think they do it for free were as some of the other companies charge. ;) ) and then after a year of using the gas we will look about changing supplier if we are not satisfied
Michael..
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 07:20:30 PM »

I've always been with powergen and never had any problems.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."