Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: rj45 or rj11 cable from asdl nation pro faceplate  (Read 6000 times)

testuk

• Just arrived
rj45 or rj11 cable from asdl nation pro faceplate
« on: July 06, 2010, 07:14:44 PM »

hi there peeps
just need a bit of advice on what to do from faceplate to a netgear dg843gt.
the router is 20m away from faceplate which cable woud be best ,but the only problem if i use the rj45 how to get it down to rj11
thanks in advance for your help

ps b4 you all say wireless carnt have router near faceplate as my 1yr old :baby: will sort that out lol :-X

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: rj45 or rj11 cable from asdl nation pro faceplate
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 10:17:14 PM »

Buy the appropriate RJ11-terminated cable from ADSLnation. The "pro" shielded SSTP is probably best.
http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=119

Or buy their bulk version of the same cable and an RJ11 socket and wire it into the back of the faceplate.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 10:19:51 PM by HPsauce »

testuk

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 09:14:25 AM »

thanks for that link seems the best choice as it sheilded aswell. ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 11:21:34 PM »

Belkin do various long lengths of shielded RJ11-RJ11 cable which is pretty decent.

I use that ADSL Nation cable all the time now and have had very good results with it.

Of course, I know that if you could site the router nearer to the master socket then you would have done so. So I'm not helping you by saying that of course it would be better to have a long run of ethernet cable than a long run of phone cable. So I won't. :-) That's just how things work out some times.

But where I have to deal with difficult lines, and for any business customers, I tend nowadays to do BT Openreach "change-point-of-entry" as a matter of course, as it keeps things neat and tidy, and on long lines gives you that little extra boost in terms of performance and reliability as the master socket is then exactly where it is needed and cables are short. Change point of entry isn't cheap [£120+ ?] but if you're struggling it might make the difference. And often cleaned-up wiring and a new, clean master socket is worth a little bit too. In fact, I did booked one with BT for a customer last week.

If you're on a short line then it doesn't matter much, of course.

anything