Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Green Screen  (Read 4486 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Green Screen
« on: July 14, 2010, 10:04:58 PM »

One of my CRT monitors keeps going Green screen and sometimes light blue  :'(, do you think it's time to replace ?.
The only ID is CM1997fs , I can not see a make on it .
It was given to me about 6 years ago.

Or could it be the Video card going ?.

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Green Screen
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 10:39:54 PM »

I assume that you've done the obvious things, like making sure that the VGA connector hasn't come slightly loose. That apart, I would say that it's most likely to be a monitor defect. It might be the sort of defect which responds to a hammer, but even so, when CRT monitors start to get intermittent they never really improve.
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 06:08:57 AM »

One thing to try, tickmike.

If you have moved or bumped the monitor at any time, you may have jiggled the internal magnets about, either physically or in terms of polarity. If so, you may be able to remedy that by doing a degauss.
Pressing the adjustment buttons on the front of the monitor should bring up a dialogue box of options...screen size, orientation, light and dark etc........set that to the icon of the bar magnet in a wire coil and tell it to go.....lots of banging and flashing will appear.

May do the trick.  :)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 08:14:13 PM »

It could also be a dry solder joint on the main board where the VGA connector fits. I have fixed quite a few in my time. To check for that fault just move the connector slightly and gently to see if any colour change happens. I'm fairly confident that that's what the problem is.  :fingers:
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 10:04:26 PM »

If you scan Freecycle in your area you will be able to get one or two free CRT monitors.

But flat screen are not that expensive now, I recently got a Dell 21.5 HD for around £100.

Quick examples:

LG W2442PA-BF 24" Full HD Monitor - £174.33inc. vat

Samsung 21.5 inch Lavender Wide LCD TFT Monitor - £119.99
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 10:13:11 PM by BritBrat »

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 09:49:14 PM »

I did check the connector at the pc end, I have tried degaussing it, bad joint is the main suspect  :( as last time it happened a very scientific thump on the LH corner of the monitor cured it until the next time.
I missed my chance of a free flat screen one last week, it was being advertised on our village web site, the only problem was I could not log on and when the web site owner realised he had disabled it during a spam attack it was too late it had gone  >:D.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

jaydeee

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 06:44:09 AM »

looks your monitor is not receiving signal from your computer.
I would do above suggestion, check your video cable and video card. considering the age of your monitor I would also consider replacing it. :)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 06:10:05 PM »

Hi

quote One of my CRT monitors keeps going Green screen and sometimes light blue

Looks as if your red colour is missing ,normally a sign is on its way out  :(

Regards Jeff
zen user

jaydeee

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 02:51:02 PM »