Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DVD Rewriter problems  (Read 5492 times)

GT

DVD Rewriter problems
« on: August 03, 2007, 10:49:18 PM »

I am having problems accessing data on DVD's I have burnt, they burn ok but when I try and look at the data on the disk it just freezes. In My Comp the drive icon indicates a disk, when I click on it it opens to show the thumbnails for the files on the disk(video files)but when I click on one the drive light flashes to indicate its reading the disk but nothing happens, sometimes media player will open to play the movie file but it doesnt play. Its not the drive, I had the problem with my last drive so got a new one and it does the same. Any ideas?

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
Re: DVD Rewriter problems
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 11:05:39 PM »

Hello GT. Welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid I don't have any answer to your problem, but I'm sure somebody will come along with some ideas before too long.

GT

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 12:25:50 AM »

Cheers, its annoying, lets hope someone has some idea what it is

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 07:27:51 AM »

I would try using a different brand of DVD media and/or write the DVD at a lower speed.
  Eric

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 12:14:48 PM »

hi gt

first thing, stick the machine in safe mode and try copy the contents of the disk to a folder on the hdd.  if it does then that has ruled out any hardware probs. if it dont then do the same with a known working disk.

then try the same thing in normal windows.  if it copies across ok then try a different media playing application, like real player??  this is to try and pinpoint where the prob lies.

if it dont copy across in normal windows (but it did in safe mode) then system restore back to when it did work.

if still the same u're gonna have to run a full virus/malware scan on ya sytstem.  after that theres loads of regisrty stuff to do but let us know the outcome of the above including when the prob started, what happened to the machine since then (ie, whats bin installed etc).

Paul

Jack Hackett

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 05:14:39 PM »

What happens if you change the View option from Thumbnails to List?

GT

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 08:17:00 AM »

Thanks for the replies.

The burn process works fine, I have already tried moving the files off the disk to the desktop and it did that ok and the movie played, it just wont play from the disk, it should play in media player the same as it does from the HDD

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 11:27:09 AM »

gt

did u try another player?

also open media player, options, click the devices tab and make sure your dvd drive appears ... if it dont then click the add button and add it then retry.

Paul

GT

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 02:44:54 AM »

gt

did u try another player?

also open media player, options, click the devices tab and make sure your dvd drive appears ... if it dont then click the add button and add it then retry.

I had the problem and assumed it was the drive so bought  a new one as they are quite cheap now so it is a new drive, it works fine burning, installing software or watching dvd movies, the only problem is when I try and access large data files that I have backed up to dvd

anything