Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What have BT done to my line?  (Read 2479 times)

anjomi

• Just arrived
What have BT done to my line?
« on: July 05, 2010, 09:05:03 PM »

A few days ago my phone line went dead, and after a couple of days BT fixed it again. However, now I have a sync rate of nearly a third of what I had previously. Could anyone take a look at the two attached pics, before.jpg and after.jpg, and let me know what the problem is.

As you can see I have a pretty terrible connection anyway, I live along way from the exchange in a tiny village, but a drop from 900k to 350k is killing me. Two thing I do notice is that the number of downstream tones has dropped from 79 to 37, and the interleaved path has changed from 12 to 9. Does this has any significance?

Obviously I'll get BT to investigate, but I was hoping some insight may help me see through the bulls**t I'm bound to get fed by them.

Thanks
  anjomi

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: What have BT done to my line?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 07:10:14 AM »

Your SNRM is higher. It could be that your target SNR(M) has been increased which will be costing you some speed.

However, looking at your bit loading there is more to it than that and even your upstream has been affected - so its not just target sNR.
You could find yourself in a tricky situation here between whether it needs to be reported to your telco or to your ISP.

The first thing I would do would be the Quiet Line test to check if there is anything audible on the line which could be causing the problem.
If thats ok, then I think I would report this to my ISP... 

I notice you are with BT..  therefore they should be able to find out your Maximum Stable Rate. (MSR).  Its highly likely that you have dropped below your Fault Threshold Rate.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anjomi

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 12:26:34 PM »

Thanks Kitz,

There are a couple of things I failed to mention:
1. There is a constant buzzing on the phone line
2. You are right that the SNR rate is higher. Before I used DMT to drop it and increase the speed. However, now when I try to drop the SNR below 7.0, it won't sync at all. Previously I got a (fairly) stable connection at around 4.5.

Anjomi

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 01:05:04 PM »

The constant buzzing on the phone line should be reported to BT as a voice fault - dial 151 and don't mention broadband. When that is dealt with it's quite probable that your ADSL connection will be back where it was.
  Eric