Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Need help on making my home network  (Read 2964 times)

silvercover

• Just arrived
Need help on making my home network
« on: July 04, 2010, 03:20:03 PM »

Hi,

I'm using Windows XP on both one PC and a Laptop with Zyxel P660HWT1 modem/router connected to my PC using LAN cable and configured my modem to connect in bridge mode.

Now I need to connect my Laptop via Wireless LAN for internet connection and I'm a bit confused about networking this to be able to connect like simple cable LAN like the time when we could share our Internet Connection.

Can I make simple LAN using my modem/router while my PC is connect by cable and my Laptop via Wireless without any extra hardware such as hub or access-point in bridge mode? or do you have better solution for me?

Thanks in Advance.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 03:24:27 PM by silvercover »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Need help on making my home network
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 03:40:14 PM »

You didn't need to put the router in bridge mode - that's used for extending a wireless LAN, but you only need the one device. All you have to do is configure the wireless interface in the laptop to match up with the wireless settings in the router. For security you should first configure the router to use WPA encryption in its wireless interface, and then set up the laptop to match. I presume you use Windows, so I'm not able to help with the specifics of setting up the router.

When the router is set up with the correct wireless settings it will be able to share the internet connection, and the two computers can also talk to each other to share files.
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Need help on making my home network
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 04:10:14 PM »

I'm using Windows XP on both one PC and a Laptop with Zyxel P660HWT1 modem/router connected to my PC using LAN cable and configured my modem to connect in bridge mode.
Are you sure the Zyxel is in bridge mode?
That would be a strange and risky configuration as you would presumably be bypassing the routers firewall and expose the PC directly to the internet. You would also need to define a dial-up connection on the PC with the ISP logon parameters in it.