Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Stats broken or real errors?  (Read 4403 times)

22point8

Stats broken or real errors?
« on: July 02, 2010, 05:14:22 PM »

D-Link 2640B vB2 EU 4.01fw. I always get a default 40000 upstream HEC errors and 80000 error seconds when syncing. Also Isn't my speed fantastic compared to the attenuation? The O2 Box usually says 52.5 to 53 down, the D-Link is usually 54.5 to 55 for ADSL2+ and 52 for ADSL2 (forced using DMT Tool). I should Point out the O2 box shows the same 40000 HEC and 80000 ES. So is this a broadcom chipset issue, or am I really getting all these errors? Also, DMT tool says downstream is interleaved but upstream is fastpath, Can upstream be set to interleave and would it get rid of the errors?

To get the speed I did I resynced when DMT tool said my SNR Margin had reached 7 at about 5pm, so resynced knowing the Modem would use 6 and so sync faster and it did by about 200kbps 8)

The O2 box syncs higher but the D-Link is preferred because it has QoS (for the Playstation 3) and other features.

WAN Statistics

Service    VPI/VCI    Protocol    Received    Transmitted
               Bytes    Pkts    Errs    Drops    Bytes    Pkts    Errs    Drops
wizard_pvc    0/101    MER    38629990    29895    0    0    3114749    17866    0    137

LAN Statistics

Interface    
Received

Transmitted
     Bytes    Pkts    Errs    Drops    Bytes    Pkts    Errs    Drops
Ethernet    3566884    21332    0    0    45073194    34790    0    0
Wireless    0    0    0    0    0    0    15    0

ADSL Statistics

Mode:    ADSL2+
Line Coding:    Trellis On

Downstream    Upstream
Rate (Kbps):    5684     1170

SNR Margin (dB):    6.2     6.1
Attenuation (dB):    55.0     29.6
Output Power (dBm):    18.9     12.4

Super Frames:    61946     61937
Super Frame Errors:    2     3
RS Words:    8300840     0
RS Correctable Errors:    1782     0
RS Uncorrectable Errors:    62     N/A

HEC Errors:    2     47493
OCD Errors:    0     0
LCD Errors:    0     0
Total Cells:    13293738     608418656
Data Cells:    831213     1029478488
Bit Errors:    0     5664150

Total ES:    2     81243
Total SES:    0     80
Total UAS:    35     47638

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 05:22:19 PM by 22point8 »

GunJack

• Reg Member
Re: Stats broken or real errors?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 06:17:08 AM »

Several points....

1. I use a 2640B  (well, one of three 2640Bs)

2. I don't get the errors you're seeing, therefore

3. Don't think it's down to the chipset...but

4. I'm not on ADSL2+ so maybe it's to do with that ??

The other interesting thing is, which version of DMT are you using ?? Whilst v8.07 works grand with 2640B fw ver 3.06, I had to find a tweaked version to run with fw 4.01. Routerstats lite is the same. The logon is slightly different within 4.01 and causes problems with the stock DMT/RSL. John did try to tweak RSL to enable 4.01 to work with it but unfortunately no joy.

Maybe the errors you're seeing are down to this issue ??
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

22point8

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 12:54:43 PM »

I'm using the tweaked version, which seems to work fine I managed to get 6700kbps out of my line once. While you mention not being on ADSL2+, I get the same stats (speeds, errors) in ADSL2 but with lower attenuation (52), with GDMT (ADSL1) I get 3400kbps with a noise margin of 14 same 52 attenuation. I thought GDMT was up to 8 and that adsl2 and above are only of benefit if you can get up to 12 or up to 24mbps, but it seems GDMT doesn't use the target SNR of 6 and just keeps as much as it can, whereas adsl2 and 2+ use the target.

Your right its probably not the chipset, its better than the 6338 in the O2 Box (Thomson 585v7), and at least I can use QoS to prioritise the PS3, although the features are a bit too advanced to know what I'm actually doing (DSCP, 802.1p). And its supposed to support the use of multiple games consoles at the same time with unrestricted NAT. Although there is a bug where you have to disable SIP in the ALG part of the firewall menu.

http://www.divshare.com/direct/8892520-757.rar thats where I got the DMT for firmware 4+

If you want to QoS something give it a static IP, then see pic

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 09:51:30 AM »

I'm on LLU adslMax, and my ISP has a fixed 12dB SNRM (no DLM on my line, no sirree !!)

I'm usually tweaking down to around 8-ish dB, current stats are:-

G.DMT 
Type: Interleave 
Line Coding: Trellis On 

Downstream    Upstream
Rate (Kbps):    5632  864 

SNR Margin (dB): 7.7  13.0 
Attenuation (dB): 49.0  24.5 
Output Power (dBm): 12.7  19.8

I've just been trying a 2740B (see my thread under bb hardware section) just to see if the 6358 chipset was better for my line. Finally got it stable and it worked reasonably well, just not as well as the 6348 in the trusty 2640B  ;D

Interestingly, your stats prove what I've been theorising, that if I finally get onto 2+, I should get about an extra Meg d/l....thanks!!
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 03:49:45 PM »

>> I always get a default 40000 upstream HEC errors and 80000 error seconds when syncing.

The upstream figures are maintained by the MSAN.

I noticed a few years ago that these figures sometimes get stuck and I spent a long and fruitless search without any success on how to reset or clear it.  Mines been stuck for a few years now and I just have come to accept it must be something peculiar to the Be MSANs (which o2 use).
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

22point8

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 12:16:04 AM »

Ah ok, thanks for the answer, I was thinking there was some serious problem with my line! Turns out my line must be magic, when I got an Openreach engineer who lives round the corner to fit an NTE5 for me, she said because the exchange (Thamesmead) is next to a train line the wiring has to go to Woolwich and back to Thamesmead and said most lines are 7km long and that the area is borderline for broadband, and thats why the area is getting FTTC to meet the 2mbit target. The town was created in the 60's so most of the houses built in the 60's and 70's used aluminium which makes things worse. Where I live was built mid 80's so copper.

I actually live 200m away from a fibre DSLAM, so I could potentially get 100mbit one day ( I know its only 40 down 10 up right now but I saw a distance to speed graph and 200m is about 100mbit). Although apparently something is up with the 'spine' to that particular cabinet so its not active yet but its been there since last year. I hope some other service provider like O2 does FTTC, I don't like the idea of an 18 month BT contract at £25 a month, which to be fair includes line rental, but the 100gb a month FUP is stupid then they cap your speed to 2mbit.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 12:44:42 AM by 22point8 »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 08:22:19 AM »

Hi 22.8,

The installed cost for a single FTTC is likely to be around £15,000 to £30,000 depending upon its capacity and location.
Whoever installs a FTTC is almost certainly going to be the only one, both from the financial and practical planning considerations.
However BT Wholesale are able to offer broadband services to other ISPs just as they do now in exchanges BUT all services will be forced to follow BT's rules using the capacity of the BT infrastructure.
(The chances of ISP's installing their own DSLAMs in BT's FTTCs and providing their own fibre back-haul are close to zero IMHO.)

Again IMHO the twisted pair telephone network is not fit for long-term Broadband purpose. Virgin Media's Fibre and Co-ax cable is better where their services are available, but the only practical long term terrestrial solution is FTTH. Technology might develop with terrestrial wireless but is still a long way off the speed and capacity of a true FTTH solution. Satellite technology cannot overcome the transmission laws of physics which govern the latency.

I do not have a crystal ball, but the best long-term techno-political solution would be a unified FTTH network at an astronomic cost, following the physical model of electricity and gas distribution.
However I believe that is quite impossible with Ofcom regulated Communications Providers unless both BT and Virgin were to become insolvent or otherwise merged along with the rest of the infrastructure providers. That said, many other countries have already developed FTTH but they didn't start from where we are now !

Kind regards,
Walter

22point8

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »

Yeah its a shame we invented things when we did, other countries who adopted our technologies at a later date have much better infrastructure, we have a 2mbit target by 2012, Japan has a 1gbit target. Then there are things like trains. Were still on 1800's technology.

Where I live, on the opposite side of the road (to where the fibre cab is, and along the whole town) is what I'm guessing is coaxial cable, lots of manholes have CATV (community access?) on them, apparently my town pioneered radio over cable in the 60's. Some of the man hole covers say Rediffusion, which was how TV was distributed anywhere not in the reach of Crystal Palace since the 1920's. Anyway Virgin isn't an option.

I was reading about FTTC and as I understood it other providers can have an ethernet handover at the exchange to their own network, and that the cabinets themselves can have cards inserted where the engineer attaches your copper to the fibre, could these cards be put in by other providers and then they rent some fibre back to the exchange, or is it more complicated? I know it can't be totally LLU'd for about 5 years anyway. I may be completely wrong.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 03:11:05 PM »

Hi again 22.8,

Any Communications Provider (CP) is at liberty to install their own FTTC as in the case of Lyddington:-

http://www.relay-rutlandtelecom.co.uk/lyddington/index.html

I believe they hire the FMPF (Full Metallic Path Facility) from BT Openreach so the consumer's line is totally isolated from BT's phone and broadband systems.
A link cable between the BT PCP and Rutland's cabinet connects the end user to Rutland's equipment.
They also hire a BT fibre back to the Uppingham Exchange and a further service to a Point Of Presence.

I believe BT's FTTC is still in the early development stage and have some way to go even before they have supplied those areas they have already announced.
Sometimes a lack of careful planning can have unforeseen consequences:-

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/i/4296.html

I can't see BT ever allowing others equipment in their FTTCs but instead BT provide a Wholesale service for any CP.
In theory another CP could install their own FTTC but costs, space limitations with a PCP and the strong dislike of additional street furniture will almost certainly preclude duplicate FTTCs.

Kind regards,
Walter