Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Need a new router  (Read 11295 times)

SinBin

Re: Need a new router
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 03:33:52 PM »

Thanks roseway  :).

We've just had another power-cut  :no:. i don't believe it. I really think we should call the electrician in now but that's more expense. However, the good news is that my Billion router survived  :).

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 10:08:35 PM »

Would be more expensive if the house caught fire or someone died.

If you think your wiring needs looking at and is the problem get it done Monday.

SinBin

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 10:55:26 PM »

I have contacted someone already so lets see what he says. I'll let you know.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 10:59:31 PM by SinBin »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 11:28:22 PM »

get it done Monday.
Tuesday?
Difficult to get an electrician on a Bank Holiday. :'(

SinBin

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2010, 04:24:50 PM »

Well the HD went on my PC last week so that was that ! Luckily had my iTouch to get back on internet and could get a laptop to get my out of trouble (cheapish one).

Placed an ad on 'MyHammer' asking for someone to have a look at the electric sockets and to also to put some more in - had an offer of £23/hr. Not sure if that's good or bad ? He has great feedback so hopefully he is reliable. The RCD hasn't tripped now for over a week thank god.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2010, 09:11:40 PM »

Just a quick point. (I'm always repeating myself on this.) If you have a really long line, you should certainly try out a Netgear DG834 _v3_  the earlier model still to be found on ebay for a tenner [!]. This outstanding aggressive router might be the best of the best for you on a very long line depending on the hw used in the exchange, as I've suggested before that there could just possibly be a synergy between exchange and DSL modem where the chipsets come from the same stable. They're so cheap that the experiment is hardly a risk to your pocket.

But my experience is that the Netgear DG834 v4 doesn't hit those same stunning outer-limits speeds compared with the v3. The two have completely different core chipsets. The v4 is recommended for shorter lines though.

I use a Belkin PureAV (~£40) power conditioner / filter / surge protector on the mains into the router and this is fed by a small APC UPS further upstream. This device is as there principally for its mains-borne interference filtering properties. And there's another Belkin Gold surge protector further upstream to protect the UPS, so a surge up the mains would need to take out three devices before getting to the router.

But the most likely threat is a surge down the phone line and there I'm wide open. I don't really have an answer for you on the phone-line side of things and I wish I did.

As it happens you've made me take a look at the green lights on two of my Belkin surge protectors and the green lights have both gone out, which I'm assuming means they have been 'tweaked' by a small surge [?] and so I'll assume that they are no longer working.

So your post has possibly done me a big favour.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 10:17:52 AM »

But the most likely threat is a surge down the phone line and there I'm wide open. I don't really have an answer for you on the phone-line side of things and I wish I did.

As it happens you've made me take a look at the green lights on two of my Belkin surge protectors and the green lights have both gone out, which I'm assuming means they have been 'tweaked' by a small surge [?] and so I'll assume that they are no longer working.

So your post has possibly done me a big favour.

Looks like they do one that protects phone line too:

Belkin-Home-Cinema-Surge-Protector
Pages: 1 [2]

anything