Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Router security  (Read 3159 times)

Golfer

• This is how I THINK I look
Router security
« on: June 29, 2010, 10:13:53 AM »

Hi all!

I am of the 'switch it on and if it's ok, leave it alone' school of computing so if this appears to be a daft question, bear with me!

I'm running Vista SP2 and my router is a Huawei EchoLife HG520b connected by cable. ISP is TalkTalk. 

I've noticed the router's internet indicator light flickers occasionally (even when the computer is switched off) and the wlan indicator is also on. 

My query is - when connected via a cable, is the wireless capability automatically disabled?  If no, does it matter?  If it does matter, how do I disable it?  The router config page doesn't make this clear and I don't want to mess with things without checking first! 

On changing to this ISP I connected the router up and it worked straight out of the box with no config input from me so I never needed to set up WPA/passwords etc. The computer itself isn't wireless enabled.  Any light shed would good!

Thanks in advance

Rich
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
Run like **************!
AH 1945

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Router security
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 10:37:07 AM »

All four lights on my Netgear ( power, lan, dsl and internet ) are glowing all the time even when the PC is switched off..........I think that is normal.

I think, too, that it is normal for the internet light to flicker ( your router connects to the internet, not you PC which connects to the router, so there may be some inbound connection attempts happening.........if bad ones, being fended off by the router firewall)

If you open your browser and access the routers web interface, go to the "Quick Start" section and look just under the area where you can, if you want, create your own password/user name and just below it you will see the box "Enable Wireless"..............if that box is not ticked, the wireless capability is switched off...which is what you want on your current configuration.
Ensure that box is not ticked and all will be well...........although creating your own user name/password is strongly recommended.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 11:16:44 AM »

All I would add to what TD has said is that most routers, by default, are set up with completely unsecured wireless networks. This means that neighbours and passers-by could connect to your system and use your internet connection. So it's important either to disable the wireless as described or to configure it to use WPA encryption.
  Eric

Golfer

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 11:16:09 PM »

Thanks both for the replies.

I have disabled wireless (I think!) so will see how it goes from here!

BTW TD, my router info doesn't show a 'Quick start' section (unless I missed it)

Regards

Rich
Run like **************!
AH 1945

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 08:19:15 AM »

Good morning golfer.. :)

Not sure where your Quick Start menu has gone..........the guide at  http://www.talktalk.co.uk/help/broadband/setting-up-your-huawei-echolife-hg520b-s.html

clearly shows that menu........perhaps a different firmware version ?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 08:43:12 AM by tuftedduck »

Golfer

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 09:38:48 PM »

Hi again TD

Thanks for that - I was looking in the wrong place (not for the first time!) but all is now correctly configured.  Wireless button now unticked and greyed out!

Rich
Run like **************!
AH 1945

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 07:06:47 AM »

:thumbs:

anything