Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Don't copy personal documents on the office photocopier  (Read 3041 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Don't copy personal documents on the office photocopier
« on: May 04, 2010, 07:23:45 AM »

Apparently, office copiers store copies of images on a hard disk, and when the machine is scrapped or sold on, the images can be easily read by anyone wanting to get hold of personal data. Have a look at this:

[youtube]iC38D5am7go[/youtube]
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Don't copy personal documents on the office photocopier
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 07:55:38 AM »

Incompetence of the highest level.....yet frightening at what data can fall into the wrong hands . :o

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 09:06:29 AM »

Yes, that is very disturbing indeed.

I wonder if my HP Printer/Copier/Scanner contains a similar type of storage device, and if so how do I clean it up.

toulouse
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 09:30:15 AM »

Yes, that is very disturbing indeed.

I wonder if my HP Printer/Copier/Scanner contains a similar type of storage device, and if so how do I clean it up.

toulouse
I shouldn't think your device will have a hard drive in it. To find out if there is any type of non volatile storage, switch the device off and disconnect it from the computer. Switch on the device without connecting to the computer and if you can print via the printer panel, try and access any files that are on there. If you cannot then more than likely you don't have the facility to store information on the printer itself.
The story is quite worrying but it is aimed at large office machinery devices. I was a fully trained office machinery service engineer up until I had to retire through ill health, and those types of devices were not in common use at that time.
As far as top level incompetence goes I can only say that these devices were installed in offices without the employees being told about the security aspect.
Once upon a time the ordinary everyday office had a dedicated department that dealt with photocopiers and the like, unfortunately nowadays it is thought that any person can operate these machines and do not need to know anything about them. Big Big trouble if you ask me, as demonstrated in the video.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

hake

• Reg Member
  • Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 08:42:57 PM »

Thanks.  I never knew that!
Windows XP

anything