Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Trialling Andrews and Arnold (AAISP)  (Read 12595 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Trialling Andrews and Arnold (AAISP)
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 03:34:55 PM »

If a member is having internet problems,its hardly constructive when you choose to laugh
Oh come on, I was only echoing what he said (incorrectly) about AAISP in a lighthearted way (well worth a chuckle I reckon), and THEN I offered a constructive suggestion to look at DNS.

Time to lighten up UUB?  ;)

Is it?

I personally don't seem to be laughing.I make loads of mistakes regarding computers and will be the first to admit I'm not very very knowledgeable on the subject.
If what(TD) has said was incorrect,then by all means point it out and if possible offer a solution,but why you find it amusing is beyond me.

I have been in the construction industry all my life and have seen quite a few 'cock-ups' and believe me if I had laughed at some of the people who had made them I don't think I would be here today typing this.  ;D

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 03:41:39 PM »

I have been in the construction industry all my life
So has my daughter (a Chartered Civil Engineer) and it's a notably agressive/dispute-ridden business.
Here we can be nicer, and being (mostly) British hopefully can laugh at our own mistakes without getting upset.  ;D

And TD, who I was replying to, didn't seem to mind.  :no:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 03:48:23 PM by HPsauce »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 03:48:15 PM »

I have been in the construction industry all my life
So has my daughter (a Chartered Civil Engineer) and it's a notably agressive/dispute-ridden business.
Here we can be nicer, and being (mostly) British hopefully can laugh at our own mistakes without getting upset.  ;D

:drink:

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 05:31:56 PM »

I wondered if it might be instructive for poor souls who might want to see my trials and struggles re IPv6 and dual-line goodness if I put up some links to screenshots ?

I could put some screenshots on flickr maybe rather than burdening kitz-land with "attachments" to posts :-\ ?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 07:08:22 PM »

Attachments are OK for a few fairly small images, but if it's more than that then we appreciate it if they're hosted externally.
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 07:20:32 PM »

Well, I've been fiddling around and cannot get the site to open in Opera, despite much tweaking of setting in there, in firewall, in av prog.

Not to worry though, I can access via IE and have had a good read through. I don't think I need trouble the site again as aaisp appear not for me.

Thank you for your comments and advices.

I hope you have all shaken hands and are friends again.  :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 11:07:14 PM »

[I'm myself polluting this thread.]

@tuftedduck

I've just done some quick checks. Opera 10.6 newly installed on a fresh, new, minimal and clean WinXp SP3 test system. http://aaisp.net start page and a few other pages seem to render fine to me in Opera 10.6.

So some funny weirdness (that's helpful [!]) going on. I can say the blindingly obvious like "reinstall Opera, latest ver" and "disable antivirus s/w" and "empty Opera's cache".

AAISP's start page isn't valid XHTML 1.0 Strict but the couple of mistakes are very minor and can not be responsible here. The CSS fed to IE8 isn't valid either and the errors are more significant, but the fact is that Opera manages to render the content without immediately obvious wrongness, and the nature of CSS requirements for parsing for error recovery means that the effects of the CSS errors seen are likely to be limited in scope. I checked the HTTP headers and there's nothing out of the ordinary going on there either that I might conceiveably point the finger at.

Are you (possibly) using an HTTP proxy cache?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 12:19:42 PM »

> This week I'm going to struggle and flounder with my new Juniper Netscreen SSG20 which has two ADSL modem modules fitted in it.

> The manual for the brute is longer than "Lord of the Rings" at 1200+ pages. Ugly.

I was wrong. The PDF manual for the beast is actually >2300 pages long. Which is possibly not a good thing.

Got the device up and running in the sense that it appears to PPP-connect to AAISP, one line only thus far. It just doesn't seem to want to route packets. Tried asking the device itself to ping say 8.8.8.8 but no joy. The problem is the defective component that is the wally user, yours truly, of course, who is new to Juniper ScreenOS.

Squinted at routing table for IPv4, looks vaguely plausible, although I need to watch out, as in my experience different mfrs have different presentation conventions for this and things don't necessarily mean what I think they mean, for all I know.

As for ipv6, well that's a complete mystery at the moment  :no: as haven't even managed to get as far as discovering the magic words of power that will cause a decent-looking ipv6 routing rtable appear yet.

H hum.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything