Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Demon now FUPing some of their business users  (Read 3579 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Demon now FUPing some of their business users
« on: July 21, 2010, 11:08:07 PM »

[An update after http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16.0.html ]

According to
    http://knowledgebase.demon.net/article/business-broadband-fair-usage-policy.html
it seems that Demon are now FUPping their business users. The "Business Premium" package is still exempt though.

The FUP is of the go-slow penalty type as opposed to the surcharge type. So making it impossible to get any business done for the rest of the month, but at least the usage allowance is pretty generous at 100GB 8:00-23:00 and unlimited off-peak for BTW users and 200GB for LLU, so hopefully business users won't fall into the trap.

I'll be moving a couple more customers of mine away from Demon in the light of this, and Zen or AAISP will be the beneficiaries. I would expect that Demon are going to find that a fair few of their customers besides myself have already FUPped off before this point and jumped ship, since I get the feeling that Home users got pretty fed up when the first home FUP policies came in a few [?] years back.

As an example of the congestion inside their network for business users, I measured ~1Mb/s effective TCP inbound repeatedly in the afternoon using various of your favourite speed tester websites on a very short BTW IPStream Max Premium [Demon Business 8000] line syncing at >7000k) over several days. To my mind the position they now find themselves in simply shows the unsustainability of the way they have been running the show, promising a free-for-all in a world where a succession of bandwidth-guzzling developments for many have been seen and this now together combined with the beginnings of a slow growth in significantly faster new technology last-mile access pipes for at least some users.

Despite my perhaps harsh comments, I remain a Demon fan, in a sense. My attitude towards them is rather like the way I regarded Apple fifteen years ago, wanting them to do well again and turn things round, when it was evident that they had almost completely lost their way.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Re: Demon now FUPing some of their business users
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 08:22:15 AM »

Interesting, on one hand we have government trying to get a digital Britain but at the same time those that can get the service are getting a more and more restricted service and the two don't seem to go together.

What is the point of rolling out faster services just to be slowed down or cut off when you use it?

And I am gong to repeat myself again in the hope that one day someone in power will listen.

We have to bring OpenReach back into public ownership funded by taxes and ISP income but making it cheaper to use bandwidth and provide a system for future infrastructure upgrades, to think private business is going to fund anything in the current climate is just a laugh.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 09:53:34 AM »

Just phoned Demon to pull the plug on another line, Demon Business 8000 (=non LLU exchange, BTW IPStream Max Premium) a short line.

Asked them to give me a MAC code and pointed out that they were telling me that they were intending to enter into a breach of contract, as the initial 12 month contract is, I think not up yet. They said "putting you on hold", I said "please don't" so they put you me on hold.

At that point I became a tad grumpy, which is a definite failing of mine  :-[ and hung up.

I phoned straight back and complained to someone else, which was definitely not the most intelligent move on my part as I had to wait again. Duh. They said "putting you on hold", I said "please don't" so they promised to call me back.

So no MAC code yet.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 10:32:39 AM »

Was promised that I'd be emailed a migration code "in the next five minutes".

Half an hour passed and no email.

I rang up and complained and was told that "the tool that generates migration codes is down". The irony of this is not lost on me.

I started to lose it at this point, so I'm going to go off and have a cup of coffee and do something else completely different as it's simply stunning outside.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 11:57:41 AM »

You sound a little like me when dealing with some support reps.

First one with me is if I have to dial an 084***** number and then have to wait in a queue at my expense as I am already quite angry even before they answer the call.

Then if one more thing upsets me I have a go at them.  It don't take much and in fact just had one, Had a letter saying I had to send certificates that I know I have already sent recorded delivery and a receipt of them returning the originals, I said if you pay the recorded posted I will send them again but that sort of fell on deaf ears.

They are going to phone me back and I will offer to send copies by regular post or Email free of charge if not I am going up their management ladder.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 12:04:31 PM by BritBrat »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 12:08:36 PM »

Grrr.
 >:D

Demon staff have sworn to me they will phone me later on today when the code-generating tool becomes unbroken.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 01:06:23 AM »

I got my migration code from Demon a couple of hours later.

The joke is, I couldn't fill out the "why are you leaving" customer survey form (see below), because the page is _broken_, produced a nonsensical error message "Javascript is required for this site to function, please enable". But Javascript was enabled.  I assumed the problem might perhaps be that I refused to accept a 3rd party cookie, but nope, that didn't fix it.

I suppose if your survey form never gets filled in then you think you have no problems. :-)

--
We would appreciate any feedback you may wish to provide to us.  Please complete our online Customer Satisfaction Survey and in appreciation of your help, you will have the opportunity to enter into our prize draw to win a 2Gb Apple iPod:

http://www.demon.net/customersurvey

Thank you for your custom,

Demon Customer Care Team
--

anything