Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A long file transfer  (Read 4890 times)

soms

• Reg Member
A long file transfer
« on: August 01, 2007, 03:38:25 PM »

This didnt seem to fit anywhere else, but I thought since I have the time on my hands...

I am in the process of copying GBs of backups and stored data from one Windows 98 PC to another over the network.

Either I have a long wait or Windows 98 has trouble making accurate calculations about how long copying the contents of just one shared folder will actually take!

[attachment deleted by admin]

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: A long file transfer
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 03:45:39 PM »

I imagine that the numbers are too big for Windows 98 to understand. I doubt if you'll really have to wait 4 years for it to complete. :lol:
  Eric

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 04:14:13 PM »

Thankfully it did complete quite nicely ahead of schedule, allowing me to move onto the next folder, thought that was the real big one, full of all kinds of misc backups you can never be bothered to look through and tidy up.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 04:22:45 PM »

LOL don't you just love Win98 :P
Chris

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 04:59:59 PM »

LOL don't you just love Win98

At the time I much prefered ME to 98 because it was faster booting, marginly more reliable, decent USB support and so on.

I quite like using 98SE becuase I have a legal disc/booklet thing with key and on a 600Mhz Celeron PC what could be better for basic file sharing? The performance is good, it has AVG free on it, I could mess around with ZoneAlarm 3.1 if I wanted and any [Windows 95 or better] PC on the network can access it no probs.

The one thing I miss on Win9x is the network activity icons for LAN connections like you have in 2K/XP/Vista*

*The Vista network activity icon is a sick joke and doesn't at all reflect network activity unlike its predecessors. It just blinks back and forth resembling nothing meaningful. Vista even prompts you to identify networks with a name in the same way a firewall application might do. In the pursuit of dumbed-down easy-to-useness, it was a complete pain to get going on the network.

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 06:29:10 PM »

i think i prefered 98 to ME, i remember the ME launch by mr gates and when he plugged a usb device into the exibit machine it crashed !!!  :D

when we had a meeting with some chaps from microsoft a while back, they even labeled it 'windows mistake edition'.

it was also the 1st ms os which didnt have an exit to dos  :(  , but it did have system restore (even tho it didnt restore the currtent control set).

i was trying to find a games disk the other week and came across a 98 cd and gazed at it with fondness for a moment ..... ahhhhhhhhhh

they were the days (my friend)

Paul

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 06:34:22 PM »

they were the days

They still can be the days! thankfully microsoft doesn't have all discs for previous versions destroyed  :D

I have a set of proper Windows 95, 98 and 98SE discs and I like loading them up every now and again for some proper, retro computing from the hay day when computers were actually useful but didnt control every detail of our lives ;)

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 06:57:48 PM »

Bring back Wordstar, that's what I say.

And Supercalc too.

We never used to have cut & paste, we had to type it.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 07:39:41 PM »

Yeah it was simpler in the old days, the software didn't try to think for you back then.

I cut my teeth on wordstar, lotus 1-2-3, and dbase 3+.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 07:43:32 PM »

god !  we sound like a bunch of old biddys  ;D

Paul

ralphw

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 10:03:56 PM »

So aren't we???  Well some of us anyway, I remember when softwear was a woolly coat, hardware was a shop where you bought you four candles  (No No, don't start that one off)  and calculators as we know them today just didn't exist.
What a time saver the first slide rule, then came the cylindrical one, more accurate and quicker to use.   
Ahh yes those were the days.    ???
Is my age showing? :hmm:

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 08:15:27 AM »

i was gonna make a comment about being as young as you feel but that'll make me nearing 189  :o

Paul

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 09:06:09 AM »

I came to computing very late, so I started with XP which had just arrived on the scene, had broadband from the start because we had cable phone, so I never knew the joys of which you are speaking :lol:

When our son had, some years previously, offered us his redundant computer, I can distinctly remember saying "whatever would I use it for?"

If only I'd known :no:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 09:32:58 AM »

I preferred ME to 98.  At first I didnt so I reformatted went back to 98.. 
and only then realised that ME was actually quicker.  There were also a couple of other things I found better under ME.   Ive seen people say pros and cons for both, but me personally preferred ME.

>> it was also the 1st ms os which didnt have an exit to dos 

I can recall that one causing me a problem when I tried to install TBP7 (Turbo Pascal) since the compiler didnt like the way ME emulated DOS.

My first o/s was windows 3.1 - I still have all the floppy disks somewhere.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 09:34:09 AM »

>> I can distinctly remember saying "whatever would I use it for?"

:lol:

Sometimes I wonder where the day has gone after being sat in front of it for so long
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: [1] 2

anything