Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Performance Deterioration  (Read 2750 times)

weezer

Performance Deterioration
« on: June 25, 2010, 06:04:19 PM »

Had many months of decent connection rates as per these stats :-

now down to these :

Had BT out, new nte box, swapped e-sides, different routers but no improvement. ISP has done their bit but at a loss now as to what to try next.
Occasionaly get 4500 kbps but errors are in the millions within a day, before only just over 300000 in 8 days.
Also the impulse noise detected thing appears regularly.
Any ideas?

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: Performance Deterioration
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 07:04:07 PM »

Hi

Looking at the stats there seems to be a couple reasons for the synch rate to have dropped .

The first is that the previous stats were about in February , during cold weather this at partly explains the increase (<2db)in attenuation (I seem to remember a figure something between  0.1% and 0.18 %per degree centigrade). so 20 degrees = 2 to 3.6% increase in attenuation .

so some synch rate  will be lost there  . It also seems as if your target SNR margin has gone up from about 6 db to 12 db  this can be costing about 800Kbps per 3db above your original margin.

quote  Also the impulse noise detected thing appears regularly.   not sure what you mean . but it seems you have some noise problem .

Have you tried to improve your connection ?
Might be worth trying routerstats  to trouble shoot your connection.

Regards Jeff

zen user

weezer

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 09:31:58 PM »

The attenuation was under 53 dB until BT fiddled about at the cabinet so there's a slight difference there. Have filtered faceplate, short shielded router cable, no extensions, bell wires or anything.

Shows more of these "Impulse noise comp. tones" whatever they are but there weren't any before this loss in performance. Nearly 2 million fecs in a day as well.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 06:36:07 AM »

>> "Impulse noise comp. tones" whatever they are.

Frequencies at which the bit loading is lower than the surrounding... or possibly has a lot of variation in the SNR.
3 tones wont make too much diff to your over-all speed and could possibly be something like interference from radio broadcasting channel.

Need to know what tone it is really.  If it varies from 1 - 3 again this could be normalish behaviour for interference.   The tone at the broadcast frequency... and one either side
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

weezer

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 12:38:05 AM »

Thanks kitz, gone back to the Billion Bipac I had a while ago. Less stats to get worried about. Trying to track down the mystery firmware that forced 6dB noise margin. Billion updated the firmware soon after my ISP got them involved.

Edit: Remember now the firmware that tweaked the noise margin (2.9.8.1(RUE0.C2)3.6.0.0) couldn't cope with Xindows XP service pack 3 or Vista, constantly rebooted itself so unuseable. Sigh.
Anyhoo, down to this now, noise margin appears to be 12dB after reboot.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 12:51:51 AM by weezer »

bobmacans

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 06:35:04 AM »

Hope it can be addressed. :)

weezer

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 10:45:32 AM »

Well back to the 2wire and now Downstream Rate Cap is 3072 kbps ! Wondered why router connected only at 3071 kbps no matter what time of day.

weezer

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 12:29:43 PM »

DSL link down for past 24 hours, just come back on. Noticed ISP log recorded change in profile while line was down and sure enough now have 6 meg profile with only 4349 kbps connection rate. Interesting.

weezer

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 06:04:36 PM »

Back to normal now :

May be coincidence but on reflection start of problem coincided with son breaking screen of his laptop. As a temporary measure he plugged it into his LCD TV. Picture poor but he persisted, switching between inputs/resolutions ie.xbox and laptop.
I got hold of a radio and used that to trace any interference on 612 and sure enough whenever this laptop/TV combo was on the radio detected it downstairs.
Laptop finally expired and ever since then broadband has recovered.
Anyhoo, now have solid 4.5 mb profile, better than it was before  :D

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 06:24:13 PM »

@ Weezer
Perhaps not quite ?

Your picture shows a v high rate cap but much lower (sync) rate.
Perhaps the ISP has initiated a modem re-train ?
If so you might expect the rate cap figure to drop quite dramatically in a few hours / days.

Kind regards,
Walter

weezer

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 11:34:45 AM »

Not sure I follow, the 2 wire always reported that Downstream Rate Cap at around 16352 kbps when things were going well. I assumed that's the upper limit the BTw system capped my line at (with 53 db attenuation no way getting that though).
When things were going badly, the Downstream Rate Cap went down to 3072 kbps, the 2wire wouldn't connect any higher than that. A speedtouch st585 connected slightly lower.
Here's latest:

6 days uptime now.

(BT Speedtest again interesting, will post elsewhere)