Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: speedtouch 330 adsl modem  (Read 3034 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
speedtouch 330 adsl modem
« on: July 31, 2007, 07:46:34 PM »

Hello, looking for a bit of advice if I may.
My Isp is Virgin.net. When I first set up a broadband connection some three years ago when that new fangled technology at last came to the village, I opted for Virgin as, at the time, there was no time contract, no download limits to worry about and no set up costs.
Virgin recommended the Speedtouch 330 adsl modem, and I bought one from the Virgin "shop", and have the receipts for that.
So, the modem is mine.
My question is, is that modem now "ISP specific" to Virgin, or if I were to change to another ISP with again a simple adsl connection to a BT landline (no routers or networks involved), would that modem work ok.
Are there any ISPs to be wary of, any that may tell me that that modem is not acceptable to them and that I must buy their product ?

You can see that my knowledge of how these things work is zilch !!   :'(

soms

• Reg Member
Re: speedtouch 330 adsl modem
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 08:41:57 PM »

Provided you can change the user name and password on the broadband "dial-up connection" it should work fine.

Most ADSL broadband ISPs in the UK use the same VPI and VCI connection settings which are entered as the phone number on the connection on your PC. For example, the phone number for BT and most ISPs should appear as "0, 38".

Even if this setting was different, you should be able to modify it no problems.

So in a nutshell, unless any specific locking software was supplied with the modem, you should have no problems using it with any ISP.

If by some chance it was "software locked", you could try the latest generic Speedtouch 330 driver from Thomson, which also supports upto 8Mbps connection speed.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 08:59:15 PM »

Thank you, soms, for your reply and clear explanations.

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 09:59:47 PM »

No probs, glab to be of some help  :)

anything