Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Plusnet on Plan B  (Read 12360 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Plusnet on Plan B
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 10:58:36 AM »

>> "Our modern three storey offices"

Just as an aside, they do indeed utilise 3 floors on the Velocity building which is part of a larger complex.
Having been to their old premises many times over the years, it was clear that the old place was no longer large enough to accommodate all their staff which had to be spread over a few locations in the city, so it made sense to get new premises so that some staff werent spending time travelling between 2 different locations.

I think most ISP's that are still going these days, have had to upgrade their premises to accommodate the growth in UK broadband customers.
I was lucky enough to be at the Zen Buildings when they celebrated the opening of their new shiny new premises a couple of years ago.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 11:11:51 AM »

@ Kitz,

Being a little mischievous, I wonder how much of the expanded office space is being required to deal with the wonderful interfacing with BT W and BT O ?

Kind regards,
Walter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 01:39:25 PM »

They moved into Velocity before they were taken over by BT.  Prior to that they had the main premises at Terry St and also had 'Internet House' at Victoria Quays. IIRC it meant that some staff would spend 20mins going between buildings.   Not to mention that some of the Network equipment was at a third location in Sheffield, (4 if you include telehouse london, locations) so you can imagine a lot of time was wasted 'travelling'.

More space was needed purely for more staff as the ISPs took on new customers. 
When I joined PN in early 2003 iirc they only had about either 60,000  broadband customers, as adsl was in its infancy and considered a luxury and when theyd not that long been in Terry St and the core CS relations team headed by Ian Wilde only had about 6 staff.  (There were plenty of others doing other things)

Ive not been to PN Towers for a while, but last time I was there, there was a dedicated team for dealing with BTw escalations, probably taking up about 8 seats?

IIRC Zen went through a similar phase as well with locations, and Im sure theyve been through about 3 moves in the same period.
I was pre-reg'd with Zen but went with PN in the end mainly because of support + hours (and the freebie cgi webspace).

Most ISPs will have seen similar growth, and I should imagine that the demand for broadband in the late 00's meant more staff needed which in turn requires more space....  and of course more network equipment. :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 [2]