Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Plusnet on Plan B  (Read 11739 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Plusnet on Plan B
« on: June 23, 2010, 04:01:05 PM »

Gentlefolk,

Plusnet have just announced
23 June 2010 15:57:03 GMT+01:00
that they have moved to
Plan B (high demand operation)

I wonder what's going to happen in 2012 with this thing called the Olympics ?

Kind regards,
Walter
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 05:21:42 PM by waltergmw »

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
Re: Plusnet on Plan B
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 04:31:56 PM »

No need to worry Walter we will all be on high speed unlimited connections by then.  :lol:
At least Plusnet have a plan B, how many more will have one?
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 06:00:40 PM »

Panic over now.

K R
Walter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 02:11:58 AM »

This isnt anything new - theyve been doing it for years.

At times of high demand, they give additional priority to time sensitive traffic, and anything like p2p etc gets slowed down further.
Priority is given to things like VoIP, gaming and surfing.

>> I wonder what's going to happen in 2012 with this thing called the Olympics

There were times during the 2008 Olympics when 'Plan B'  came into operation and a few other occasions such as the tennis.   
During this same period all other ISPs reported a slow down of traffic too.   The ISPs which shape just give priority to those apps which need it.

TBH there have been times with my present LLU ISP when I wished they were able to do this..   p2p can swamp the more time sensitive apps.
For instance last year my speeds dropped from 24Mb down to 2Mbps... and I was really noticing jitter.   Yet I could open up Usenet- set about 20 threads going and get near full speed.
So some things became painfully slow..  yet p2pers and binaries sucked more and more bandwidth up. 
As speeds slowed down..  open up more threads for p2p/binaries..  and woahh   general surfing then starts to become painful.

I have no objections what so ever in ISPs doing this...  just as long as its not abused...  and done too often.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 02:15:35 AM »

Here you go..  more info about what plan B is.

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/abnormal_load.shtml

Plan A (Normal operation)
Plan B (High demand operation)
Plan C (Disaster situation)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 10:12:48 AM »

Thanks Kitz for the information.
It's re-assuring when an ISP does report how they are coping with a peak load.
It is hoped that high priority traffic such as VOIP will continue through these conditions.

There are some interesting articles on the TBB site here:-

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/i/4282.html

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/i/4283.html

What was concerning me was, just with this evidence of a mainly national interest, how our communications infrastructure will cope during the Olympics.
It's possible that much Olympic traffic will escape from the UK direct via satellite links but I suspect that there will still be overwhelming and un-tested traffic routed through the UK infrastructure?

We've read of the immediate infrastructure being installed to link the many Olympic activity sites, but I wonder who decides (pays for and maintains) the whole of the National facilities which will almost certainly produce unprecedented peak traffic? Given that we're still some way off the date, newer video devices such as smart phones and touch pads will increase over the intervening period, are the affects even on mobile networks being given sufficient attention ?

Kind regards,
Walter

(PS sorry this is slightly off-topic so perhaps should be elsewhere ?)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 10:35:36 AM »

We may be going off topic somewhat but I think it stands the merit of being discussed, seeing as it affects everybody.
To my mind regardless of the money, willingness and resources that are put into the infrastructure it's highly unlikely there will be enough bandwidth to cope with all the devices and the hunger for those devices. There is only so many fish in the sea so to speak.
At times I myself are somewhat unfair in the comments made about the providers, not always though. When we take a look at the infrastructure of the telephone network we tend to forget it was installed in the main to cope with the pots system many, many years ago and in a piecemeal fashion. I don't think it was ever designed with the future in mind. Things could be made better by replacing the entire copper/aluminium wiring wit the fibre optic. Ouch! the expense of that.

Rant over.

P.S. If the mods wish to separate this into another thread b all means do because hopefully there is more to be said.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 10:51:14 AM »

Gentlefolk,

Things could be made better by replacing the entire copper/aluminium wiring wit the fibre optic. Ouch! the expense of that.

NTL & Telewest etc. attempted to do just that, but only in high density areas, and just with co-axial cables into every house.
There were several company restructuring events as a result of that investment.
However their network is probably still more robust than the "Super-fast broadband" being deployed by BT which has to include the "up to" health warning.

Kind regards,
Walter

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 12:08:31 PM »

The way I see it is unless the entire wiring, whatever it is, is upgraded even to coaxial then somewhere along the route every connection runs into copper/aluminium. Now unless the cost of broadband a connection goes up by a considerable amount then no-one is about to invest. I can't see BT giving any other company permission to replace their cabling via their poles, cabinets or anything else they now own. The monopoly has to be broken for that to happen. Ooooh! I could go on with this. But I won't.  :)

Fibre to the Cabinet seems the way forward at the moment. At least that leaves the door open for getting fibre to any premises that want it in the future.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 12:12:19 PM by silversurfer44 »

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 02:21:14 PM »

Well I think I have been on plan C for a few weeks. :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 05:59:33 PM »

I have just come past Plusnets new offices,  :o

So whether its plan A,B or C they can't be doing too bad out of the old broadband service

http://careers.plus.net/our-offices/

Couldn't stop too long to have a look as its only a couple of buildings from The South Yorkshire Police HQ  :D

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 06:42:09 PM »

Gentlefolk,

This link provides an interesting vision on broadband speed developments but I'm puzzled as to Virgin's overall plan.

http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/virgin-media-already-looking-to-400mbps-broadband-698361

Given that their 50 Mbps service is throttled now, it would appear that significant investment would be needed for a 400 Mbps service.
From many potential user's viewpoints, these speeds are pointless if the local infrastructure is missing for 50% of the nation.

It is also apparent that BT's local network would have great difficulty achieving 400 Mbps even though they still carry a significant proportion of the total UK traffic.

Kind regards,
Walter

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 07:31:04 PM »

"Our modern three storey offices" are only part of the building..... :P

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 10:19:31 PM »

Gentlefolk,

This link provides an interesting vision on broadband speed developments but I'm puzzled as to Virgin's overall plan.

http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/virgin-media-already-looking-to-400mbps-broadband-698361

Given that their 50 Mbps service is throttled now, it would appear that significant investment would be needed for a 400 Mbps service.
From many potential user's viewpoints, these speeds are pointless if the local infrastructure is missing for 50% of the nation.

It is also apparent that BT's local network would have great difficulty achieving 400 Mbps even though they still carry a significant proportion of the total UK traffic.

Kind regards,
Walter

I bet those with fast connections will get it and those with slow connections may get a bit faster and those with no broadband will still not have any.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 07:03:47 AM »

"Our modern three storey offices" are only part of the building..... :P

Yes,and your point being  ???
Pages: [1] 2

anything