Plusnet on Plan B

(1/4) > >>

waltergmw:
Gentlefolk,

Plusnet have just announced
23 June 2010 15:57:03 GMT+01:00
that they have moved to
Plan B (high demand operation)

I wonder what's going to happen in 2012 with this thing called the Olympics ?

Kind regards,
Walter

silversurfer44:
No need to worry Walter we will all be on high speed unlimited connections by then.  :lol:
At least Plusnet have a plan B, how many more will have one?

waltergmw:
Panic over now.

K R
Walter

kitz:
This isnt anything new - theyve been doing it for years.

At times of high demand, they give additional priority to time sensitive traffic, and anything like p2p etc gets slowed down further.
Priority is given to things like VoIP, gaming and surfing.

>> I wonder what's going to happen in 2012 with this thing called the Olympics

There were times during the 2008 Olympics when 'Plan B'  came into operation and a few other occasions such as the tennis.   
During this same period all other ISPs reported a slow down of traffic too.   The ISPs which shape just give priority to those apps which need it.

TBH there have been times with my present LLU ISP when I wished they were able to do this..   p2p can swamp the more time sensitive apps.
For instance last year my speeds dropped from 24Mb down to 2Mbps... and I was really noticing jitter.   Yet I could open up Usenet- set about 20 threads going and get near full speed.
So some things became painfully slow..  yet p2pers and binaries sucked more and more bandwidth up. 
As speeds slowed down..  open up more threads for p2p/binaries..  and woahh   general surfing then starts to become painful.

I have no objections what so ever in ISPs doing this...  just as long as its not abused...  and done too often.

kitz:
Here you go..  more info about what plan B is.

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/abnormal_load.shtml

Plan A (Normal operation)
Plan B (High demand operation)
Plan C (Disaster situation)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version