Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Problem with Router connected to extension  (Read 5759 times)

prm

• Just arrived
Problem with Router connected to extension
« on: July 18, 2010, 02:25:20 PM »

Hi there,

I have moved in to a house that is only 6 years old and has built in extensions on the first and second floor.

Where the BT line comes in to the house the i have an adsl filtered NTE5 Faceplate - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

My wireless router works fine when connected to this master socket but I need to move the router to the first floor home office.

I have tested the phone in the socket on the first floor and that works fine but when I connect the router it doesn't work.

Something is clearly wrong with the wiring from the master to the extention but what seems strange is that on the back of the NTE5 face plate there are only spaces for 3 wire where there are currently blue/white, white/blue and orange/white - the white/orange is not connected but i notice that on the back of the socket in the office on the first floor all for wires are connected.

Looking at http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm this appears to be correct.

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Thanks

AdrianH

Re: Problem with Router connected to extension
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 03:29:35 PM »

Leave the router on the master socket and use a wireless extender to boost signal if you need it.

Extensions are a real pain with ADSL of any flavour, even correctly wired you can suffer loss of signal/noise etc.

prm

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 03:43:54 PM »

Thanks Adrian but I can't leave it plugged in to the master as a new piece of furniture won't allow it.

Also I'm trying to get better coverage on the 2nd floor - hence moving to the 1st floor.

Thanks anyway

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 04:18:13 PM »

Just to be clear, with a filtered faceplate the extensions can't be used for ADSL. There's nothing wrong with your wiring - that's how it's supposed to work. If you have to move the router away from the master socket, you have two options:

1. Replace the filtered faceplate with an unfiltered one. Your extensions will then be live for ADSL, but with the disadvantages mentioned by AdrianH.

2. Wire up a separate extension for the router to use, connecting it to the A and B terminals in the filtered faceplate, not to terminals 2 and 5 as used by the normal extensions. Most filtered faceplates these days include A and B terminals, but if yours doesn't then you will need to replace it with one which does, or use option 1.
  Eric

prm

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 04:36:51 PM »

Hi Roseway

Thanks for your help.

I don't need to use any of the extensions for phones so I thnk option B would be best.

I can use the cable so will follow your advice and buy a new filtered faceplate which has an A & B terminal.

So that I don't waste my money, and considering that you clearly know what you are talking about, is there any chance that you could suggest a supplier for the correct article?

Clearly I need to buy 2 - 1 for the other end on the 1st floor?

Thanks once again

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 04:51:11 PM »

Two well respected suppliers are Clarity and ADSL Nation. Either would serve you well. You only need one of them, on the master socket. At the other end you could use an ordinary extension socket with a microfilter plugged into it, or a filtered extension socket (also available from the same two suppliers).
  Eric

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »

Hi PRM,

If Broadband performance is a problem and it gets worse when you move the modem, and if there is space together with a second 13 A Power socket, you could use home plugs to distribute the ethernet signal around the house.

However some have reported that they can cause interference in the area if they become faulty.

Kind regards,
Walter

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 10:20:09 PM »

If you use the newer style faceplate as suggested by Roseway, and wire up correctly (no bell wire etc.), your ADSL should work fine at the designated extension as it will be the only one getting the signal - no branching.

You will have 3 choices for the extension, assuming you wire it to the "unfiltered" terminals, and of course have proper twisted-pair cabling (CW1308 phone cable is fine):
1. A standard phone extension socket with plug-in filter
2. A new filtered faceplate with separate phone and RJ11 (ADSL) outlets e.g. https://secure.adslnation.com/products/xtf.php (68mm or 85mm sizes)
3. A pure ADSL RJ11 or RJ45 outlet, if no phone is required there.

anything