Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: changing BT master box ??  (Read 9213 times)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
changing BT master box ??
« on: June 10, 2009, 08:46:12 PM »

HI

This was posted on TB forum . Perhaps Ezzer could comment . see reference to email from BT
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/f/3647819-replacing-master-socket-bt-say-i-can-do-it.html#Post3647858

Seems a bit shaky to me .
Regards Jeff
zen user

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: changing BT master box ??
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 09:12:26 PM »

Reading that Email it seems BT are telling the poster to actually replace the NTE5 themselves  ??? :o

I thought you are not allowed to do that  :-[

Thats an odd one?
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 11:50:13 AM »

The nte itself is the demarcation point and no your not ment to replace this your self. you can add extention wiring to an nte yourself though.

The nte5 is designed to make this easy as you have the faceplate to which you can add extention wiring without worrying about messing up the lead-in. and should you have a problem either with pstn or dsl then you can seperate your wiring and try the test socket to break down where the problem is and avoid a call out charge if the problem was your wiring. Also it leaves you a working socket if the problem is your internal wiring.

If you wanted to have an nte5 and fit it yourself kitz has the info on "how to" done to a tee on this site http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 05:21:23 PM »

HI

@Ezzer thanks for the reply . I am not intending to fit new socket .My ols 30 year ols is working ok . Just came across the post . Thought it was odd for someone in BT actually sending email saying "change it yourself". Mind you the post concerned has got out of hand .
Regards Jeff :)
zen user

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 11:49:38 AM »

No you cant.  As mentioned by others the NTE is the demarcation point.

I think some of the confusion may be that you are allowed to change the face-plate (such as fit an adsl filtered faceplate or install an iplate), but you are not supposed to touch the backbox.. nor touch the pair that enter into the home.  Extensions - you can do what you like with those since anything past the demarcation point is 'yours'.
IMHO I think that the person from BT who sent the mail is typical first line (foreign) support who perhaps does not understand the difference between the NTE master socket and the NTE5 faceplate.

If you notice during that thread some posters specifically say face plate, whilst one of the others talks about the backbox...
Bear in mind there is a certain group of users on TBB who enjoy a good stir... then also look who said that my max speed calculator simply divided by x (which it doesnt).
After a while you will get to know certain names who crop up again and again.. some of them have very interesting things to say.. some of them appear to be there for their own reasons or just to enjoy 'a good debate' ;)

NTE stands for Network Terminating Equipment - In other works the termination point of property belonging to BT.
You are not allowed to touch the A+B wires, which you would need to do if changing the master socket.  Changing the faceplate and/or adding extensions doesn't involve any work on the A+B dropwire.
BT NTE's are all specifically marked with the BT logo (these may differ over the years as BT has evolved), but all of logo'd NTEs can only be obtained from BT and fitted by a BT engineer.

Quote from BT's definitions & conditions for BT IPStream Service bt321b

... for the use of a BT  provided analogue direct exchange line which terminates on a BT public switched telephone network master socket forming part of the BT Network;

“BT Equipment” means equipment (including any software) placed on a Site by BT for the provision of the Service including (without limitation) the End User NTE

“End User” means a person taking the Customer Service.

“End User NTE” means the BT Network terminating equipment on an End User’s Site, excluding any Ethernet cable which may also be provided.

The Customer is responsible for the BT Equipment and must not add to, modify or in any way interfere with it nor allow anyone else (other than someone authorised by BT) to do so. The Customer will be liable to BT for any loss of or damage to the BT Equipment, except where such loss or damage is due to fair wear and tear or is caused by BT, or anyone acting on BT’s behalf.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 02:23:55 PM »

Hi

Thanks for that explanation . That certainly makes it very clear where the demarcation is .

Quote : NTE stands for Network Terminating Equipment    that says it all

I agree that some of the people on TBB seem to have their own agenda  ;)

Regards Jeff
zen user

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 11:20:24 AM »

Personally, I'd keep and print that email as official authorisation and get on with it as long as it was addressed to me directly.  :-X

After all, it's not actually a criminal offence.  ;)

And the T's & C's Kitz quote do say "other than someone authorised by BT". Well they HAVE authorised getting someone to do it.  :lol:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 11:24:45 AM by HPsauce »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 12:02:06 PM »

Well they HAVE authorised getting someone to do it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Personally, I'd keep and print that email as official authorisation and get on with it as long as it was addressed to me directly.

in deed yes..  it does appear to give permission  :-X

Alternatively, you can get it done by yourself and contact any local engineer to get it replaced.

oops ;D

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

22point8

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 11:38:48 AM »

When I found an engineer in my street she told me to do it myself if I felt competant to do it and gave me an nte5. I still asked her if she could do it cash in hand though.