Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I Plate and bell wire  (Read 4968 times)

dragon18007

I Plate and bell wire
« on: June 07, 2010, 01:10:49 AM »

HI

I dont know much about this sort of thing so i'll try explain it as best as I can  :)

I have a NTE5 faceplate on my master socket(and only socket) with the BT logo on the top left, I read on this forum about removing the bell wire to see if it would help much on the signal, so I took off the lower part of the face plate and i thought there would be wires connected to it but there is none so im not sure where the bell wire would be as I cant see any other wires in the box unless I screw off the main socket.   I have checked the guides here and on other web sites and they all say to remove the bell wire from the terminals but no wires are on the face plate terminals..... :'(  so I think im looking at the wrong place.

I was going to buy the I Plate so that would sort it out anyway but read that it doesnt filter the sockets so would I be able to get the I Plate and instead of putting back on the original face plate add on a MODIFIED BT Engineers' ADSL Filter/Splitter Faceplate for NTE5 Master boxes from Clarity.it ?? or would that be too much add ons?

Im confused lol

JJ
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 01:12:56 AM by dragon18007 »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: I Plate and bell wire
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 07:21:11 AM »

If you haven't got any extension sockets then there won't be any ring wire to disconnect. If you did have extensions they would be wired into the faceplate, and in this case there would be good reason to disconnect the ring wire or to use an iPlate. By the same token, a filtered faceplate offers no advantage over a plug-in microfilter apart from neatness.
  Eric

Tim69

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 09:28:55 AM »

Are you using a plug in telephone extension lead in your only telephone socket? if you are then a filter should be used at the phone socket, but if you have the router at the end of the extension, with the extension lead plugged directly into the telephone socket, then an I-Plate would help as this will filter the ring line in the extension.

dragon18007

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 06:20:34 PM »

Hi

Thanks for the info.

No I dont use an extension wire, I have an RJ11 cable connected to the filter in master socket and that comes up the stairs and directly into the router.  I also have the sky connected to a filter and into the master socket also.

JJ

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 06:57:37 PM »

There's nothing necessarily bad about that arrangement, but RJ11 cables vary a lot in quality. Cheap ones won't have twisted wires and so will be very vulnerable to interference pickup. If you're trying to optimise your setup, you ought to be using a good quality twisted-pair cable such as: http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=118. A rather more elegant arrangement would be to wire up an extension using proper BT twisted-pair telephone cable.
  Eric

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 07:37:19 PM »

Hi JJ,

Kitz does mention some people put two filters in series on a sky box if it is thought to be causing a problem.

It would also be a good idea to keep the RJ11 cable well away from all other cables.

Another solution would be to put the modem on a very short screened lead near the master socket and run an Ethernet cable up to your computer (or possibly use home plugs to distribute the Ethernet signal around your house).

Kind regards,
Walter

dragon18007

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 08:06:15 PM »

I just bought my RJ11 cable a few months back for £20 here http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=45164 wish I had known about this site sooner!  I just read on the questions bit at the bottom that it isnt twisted only shielded...damn   

I might order that one now and a NTE-2005 Master Faceplate so I dont have alot of filters sticking out of it. 

thanks.