Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Hiring Private Telephone Engineer  (Read 7790 times)

Frustrated

• Just arrived
Hiring Private Telephone Engineer
« on: June 06, 2010, 08:16:07 PM »

Hi Guys,

I'm having a problem with my broadband connection, and all the evidence seems to suggest that the problem is with BT's external wiring to the exchange.  Yet, the severity of the problem is below BT's 'threshold' for reporting of faults.  (I'm posting that separately.)

I recently learned that it is now possible to hire a Private Telephone Engineer, who is able to deal with external wiring problems.  So, I have a few questions:

Can the Private Telephone Engineer access the green metal boxes, to which the telephone lines go, in order to test a segment of the BT line?

Can he visit the telephone exchange, and check that the line it is hooked up to the DSLAM correctly?  Or attach equipment for testing purposes?

Does the exchange need to be LLU?  Or, can he access the exchange if it is in 'Market 1,' where BT Wholesale are the only broadband provider?

Can he climb telephone polls and perform repairs on the external BT telephone lines?  E.g., re-splicing a connection at the telephone pole?

Does anyone have any experience in hiring Private Telephone Engineers for work on external wiring?

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: Hiring Private Telephone Engineer
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 09:02:49 PM »

Hi and welcome .
I Have never heard of that. But doesn't mean its not possible . I am certain of one thing though BT would not give access to their equipment  :no:
Regards Jeff
zen user

Tim69

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 09:32:42 AM »

It is possible to employ a telecoms tech to carry out anything you wish in your own home, but only Openreach personnel are allowed to work on the network beyond your demarcation point (the NTE-5 master or external  NTE)

Frustrated

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 10:51:16 AM »

When the ISP tech suggested I hire a private telephone engineer, he told me a story in which a private engineer had visited a telephone exchange, on behalf of a customer, and discovered that the DSLAM had been plugged into aluminium wiring!

Could it be that private engineers are permitted to visit LLU-enabled exchanges?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 11:08:48 AM »

Hi Frustrated,

It is very unlikely indeed that an individual would be allowed into an exchange to observe a client's connections.
However BT do employ sub contractors and any CP with LLU etc. equipment in an exchange must be allowed access to it, but no doubt at BT's invitation.

If you read Kitz's exchange descriptions you'll see that, with her contacts, she was especially privileged to be given a guided tour of, I think, two exchanges.

Kind regards,
Walter

Tim69

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 01:07:02 PM »

When the ISP tech suggested I hire a private telephone engineer, he told me a story in which a private engineer had visited a telephone exchange, on behalf of a customer, and discovered that the DSLAM had been plugged into aluminium wiring!

Could it be that private engineers are permitted to visit LLU-enabled exchanges?

Just nonsense from an ISP.  Only Openreach and their  sub-contractors are allowed access to exchange equipment.   Years ago we used to allow school visits to exchanges, as did the BBC to many of their transmitter sites, but the present security demands have put a stop to this.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 02:04:10 AM »

Quick answer to most of your questions is NO NO NO

-------

Hmmmmm.  sounds a bit MUXed up to me
(sorry couldnt resist the pun and I hope at least one person gets it ;) )

The most likely explanations is that it was an LLU MSAN..  in which case certain LLU ISPs have their own techs who work on their own MSANs (such as sky).  Demarkation would be the inspan handover point..  and their techs can work on anything past this point which belongs to them.

I may be wrong, but Im pretty certain that I read something somewhere that for any of the LLU's who contract their own techs... all this documentation is set up during the time of installation of the LLU MSAN, and a contract formed between BT and the LLU as regards to access rights.

However... anything between the handover and the customers NTE in the home belongs to BTo..  and only BT (or BTs own subcontractors) can work on that equipment.

>> DSLAM had been plugged into aluminium wiring!

More possible Muxedupness - most likely that some part of the wiring between the exchange and home was found to contain aluminium... which isnt that unusual.

Most lines that have alum on them are already marked, but there are new ones that crop up from time to time and some are only discovered when the owner gets adsl for the first time.

Inside the exchange its fibre and copper... theres no way this could possibly happen between the MDF and MSAN/DSLAM
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

bobmacans

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 08:50:20 AM »

Try to consult to your provider first.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 07:27:28 PM »

Try to consult to your provider first.

He already had - its below their Fault threshold level.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything