Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Gas and electricity supply.  (Read 3889 times)

AdrianH

Gas and electricity supply.
« on: June 06, 2010, 08:33:49 AM »

Reference this thread > http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,7455.0.html

Members may want to look at this site > http://www.atcostenergy.com/ <

Welcome to At Cost Energy
Welcome to At Cost Energy - where we believe gas and electricity are a necessity to live, not a luxury!

We challenge why ANY company should be allowed to profit from something that in our founder's opinion, is a basic human right.

As the name suggests we offer gas and electricity AT COST, no hidden extras, no flashy London offices, no pretty water feature in reception, no shareholders, no director bonuses, just the same gas and electricity you use currently, but AT COST!

The only thing that changes when you switch to At Cost Energy is the name at the top of the bill and the lower amount you pay at the bottom!

No misleading ploys, no introductory offers, just gas and electricity... AT COST!

Despite the efforts of other energy suppliers this company has now been granted a license to supply and is actively seeking more people to sign up,the more that join the better the discount they can negotiate.

I pre-registered when this first came out,there have been no phone calls,email spam etc. just the newsletter which I accepted . There is to be a trial of the service and some early registered members will be involved, if chosen I will pass on more information.

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
Re: Gas and electricity supply.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 08:49:14 AM »

Welcome to At Cost Energy - where we believe gas and electricity are a necessity to live, not a luxury!

We challenge why ANY company should be allowed to profit from something that in our founder's opinion, is a basic human right.

As the name suggests we offer gas and electricity AT COST, no hidden extras, no flashy London offices, no pretty water feature in reception, no shareholders, no director bonuses, just the same gas and electricity you use currently, but AT COST!

The only thing that changes when you switch to At Cost Energy is the name at the top of the bill and the lower amount you pay at the bottom!

No misleading ploys, no introductory offers, just gas and electricity... AT COST!
Unbelievable, a company offering energy and foregoing profits  :o

I'll register and will think about migrating further when my contract with British Gas expires in July next year.

Thanks  :)
Mike

AdrianH

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 08:54:46 AM »

Reference this thread > http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,7455.0.html

Despite the efforts of other energy suppliers this company has now been granted a license to supply and is actively seeking more people to sign up,the more that join the better the discount they can negotiate.

I pre-registered when this first came out,there have been no phone calls,email spam etc. just the newsletter which I accepted . There is to be a trial of the service and some early registered members will be involved, if chosen I will pass on more information.
I'd be interested in seeing how their energy prices compare but you have to register forst which I think is daft  ::)

By the way, if they sell their energy at cost price then how do they make any profit?

Edit: I just read about this, although it still seems strange that a company will forego any profit  ???

1) they cannot yet give a price as that has to be negotiated.The whole system is still in the build up stages, the more folk that register the better they can gauge demand.

2) the whole ethos is that energy supply is a basic right/need and greedy shareholders should not profit from that basic human need.

3) The founder is a multi millionaire that starts companies that benefit others, many projects are run and give a large percentage of the profits made to good causes worldwide,basically the guy uses his expertise in ways that are not just based on his own bank balance.Not everyone in business is totally self oriented.

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 09:12:54 AM »

I registered although I won't be able to migrate to them until my current British Gas contract expires in just over 12 months time.

I expect it will take this amount of time to get the service up and running anyway  :)
Mike

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 09:35:19 AM »

More power to their elbow, I say. :)

I've registered, and I look forward to seeing what they can achieve.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 09:47:50 AM »

Sounds good,but I'm a bit apprehensive about giving out all my supply details etc as there are some very unscrupulous companies who will attempt to switch you without your knowledge.

I don't mind giving them my email address to keep me updated,but not my supply details.

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 10:04:37 AM »

Sounds good,but I'm a bit apprehensive about giving out all my supply details etc as there are some very unscrupulous companies who will attempt to switch you without your knowledge.

I don't mind giving them my email address to keep me updated,but not my supply details.
Same here and in my case if I was switched without my consent then I would be in breach of contract with British Gas and would have to pay a fee for doing so.
Mike

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 10:08:57 AM »

The unscrupulous do switch without your knowledge, and you don't need to give anyone your details. I had this very scenario a few years back. I got switched to Npower without my knowledge, a fictitious name, yet they switched the supply of my power to them. I was with British Gas at the time and the first I knew of it was when I got a letter from British Gas asking why I was leaving. It took months, letters and phone calls to sort it out. I was nearly in court for non-payment to Npower. It was only after I contact The Trading Standards I got the whole thing sorted out. The only good thing I got out of it was a free supply for a few months. I also had to switch back to British Gas whom I'd been with from when electricity and gas were supplied from the same supplier. I had to rejoin as new customer.
One has to be very much on ones toes and treat all offers with caution. Even the well intended.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 10:56:06 AM »

Hmmm,

AFAIK salary costs are deducted from the balance sheet before calculating company profits.  Absence of company 'profits' would prohibit payment of dividends, whereby company directors traditionally get rich,  but I don't think it would stop the directors from awarding themselves whopping salaries.

Always the cynic.   I'm certainly tempted, though...

I do actually quite like the speel at the website, and their point about refusing to pay commisions to 'price comparison' websites, is a valid one.  It's always niggled me that 99% of these comparison are nowhere near as independent as they'd like you to think, most are motivated by profit and payments just as much as anybody else.

Yes, tempted....

- 7LM

AdrianH

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 11:07:06 AM »

I had a lot of concerns when this first appeared @ a year ago and checked into the Stockdale Group before registering an interest which I did with a throw away email address.

The information they have asked for since is more to gauge energy use and costs of prospective members,they have not asked for any account details which should  mean they cannot do any switching.

It would not be in their interest to mess anyone around while they set this up,any bad publicity at this stage would kill the idea. I know many members from other forums
have registered and many were skeptical but thus far no -one has reported anything untoward.

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 11:36:56 AM »

It would not be in their interest to mess anyone around while they set this up, any bad publicity at this stage would kill the idea. I know many members from other forums
have registered and many were skeptical but thus far no -one has reported anything untoward.
Reassuring news for me then.

I'll keep my eye on my inbox for any future announcements  :)
Mike

anything