Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help!! Cant Connect To Secure Sites  (Read 10280 times)

wehey

Help!! Cant Connect To Secure Sites
« on: June 04, 2010, 12:18:21 PM »

Hi all.
I hope someone can help!!!
My Internet is with BT. I have just moved home and had my broadband transfered to my new address. The Internet is working fine except that I can't connect to any secure sites as Mail, eBay, Online Banking etc.
I have called bt help who have escalated it to the highest level with no resolution. They have tried everything they know to sort my problem out without success

1. We have 2 computers and the problem is the same on both. We have turned off the firewall for both and this doesn't work. My Iphone is the same. This tells me it's not our pc or firewall or security software.
2. I have tried 2 BT routers, white and black version and an Addon Router and neither make a difference. I have turned off the firewall on all routers and still no luck. This tells me it's not a router problem. (i think)
3. I have done a broadband speed test and it's approx 4meg. Surfing to all None-secure sites is fine but as soon as you try to login, it wont go any further.
4. I have tried pinging secure sites and get no response
5. My iPhone connects to secure sites via 3g but not through BT wifi
6. I am using XP and browsers Chrome and IE

My conclusion is that it's not our pc's or our routers but something beyond that.
BT have taken it as far as they can and have told me I will now have to pay a bT IT expert to fix it which I think is out of order!!!

I am getting desperate as i am in a new home and rely on the internet for my business....without it i cant work and am losing money daily!!!!

Many thanks in advance

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: Help!! Cant Connect To Secure Sites
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 12:29:30 PM »

Hi Wehey and welcome,

This is one I prepared earlier !

I googled "blocking secure sites" and found at:-

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091128204956AA3jPYl

The following underneath.

Kind regards,
Walter

This smells badly.
Provided your browser has correct configurations (& it looks outwardly OK), I would say someone/thing is getting between you and the site.
Give this a shot for some analysis:
When on an SSL/TLS site, click the browser's padlock.
Carefully examine the pedigree of the certificate chain to see if there is any evidence of some unknown element in that chain, especially the final one.
I might just be there is a 'gateway' @ your complex, where the browser is getting the 'certificate' from, rather than the website itself.
This could mean the gateway is logging your encrypted traffic; then re-encrypting it before sending it on it's path to the destination server (bank).
If the gateway is not configured properly, these glitches could be the manifestation of that.

All mission critical connections over SSL should be verified with this padlock inspection of the certificate chain, before data is exchanged.

Added: It might be a matter of the 'negotiated encryption method' (maybe...).
Make sure you have your on board Certificates current; your time/date/time zone are accurate; make sure the browser has TLS & SSL (all versions) enabled.
Other than that I'm runnin' short of ideas.

wehey

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 01:18:16 PM »

Hi there, Thanks for the quick response!!

When on an SSL/TLS site, click the browser's padlock.
It doesn't get that far.....eg. i go to ebay.co.uk which is fine......when i click to go to "My Ebay" it stays on the same page and in the bottom LHS i see "Waiting for http://my.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBay..............." and eventually (after about 5 mins) goes to a blank page and displays "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage "....the padlock is never displayed!

Make sure you have your on board Certificates current; your time/date/time zone are accurate; make sure the browser has TLS & SSL (all versions) enabled
This has all been gone through with BT tech.......TBH i dont see it as a PC fault as both laptops are doing the same as is my iphone.......if my iphone worked ok then maybe it could be a PC fault, but it doesn't ??

Thanks again

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 04:03:32 PM »

Hi
have you tried microsoft help 
Regards Jeff
zen user

wehey

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 05:28:56 PM »

Hi
have you tried microsoft help 
Regards Jeff

Hi Jeff, Yep.....i have been through all of that previously......just did it again just in case  :no:

wehey

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 09:22:11 PM »

Have you tried going via a proxy?
I haven't tried that yet..... How would I do that!??
Thanks

wehey

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 09:23:05 AM »

AdrianH........your a genious !!!!! It works!!!!

So does that mean that it's BT that are blocking secure sites????
thanks a million I am finally getting to thr bottom of this !

wehey

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »

Thanks for the advice but to be honest I am conviced that it's not our computers that are at fault. We have 2 pc's and both have fresh installs of xp and I have tried firefox, chrome and IE on both.
The problem is exactly the same on my iPhone.
Before I get back to BT, does this point to BT blocking the sites??
Thanks again

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 02:30:11 PM »

One more thing to look at..........you mentioned earlier about the situation remaining as-was whither or not your firewall was off or on.

Have you the same anti-virus prog. on all these devices and does it have the same configuraton across the board ? If so, have you  a similar test with that on or off....especially that component of it described as a "web-shield" or similar. ?

wehey

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 03:24:13 PM »

One more thing to look at..........you mentioned earlier about the situation remaining as-was whither or not your firewall was off or on.

Have you the same anti-virus prog. on all these devices and does it have the same configuraton across the board ? If so, have you  a similar test with that on or off....especially that component of it described as a "web-shield" or similar. ?

Hi, Yep, i have turned off the XP firewalls and the hub firewalls on all PC's and still the same probs. Thanks

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 03:29:48 PM »

My question was about your anti-virus prog., not your firewall.

wehey

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 04:19:04 PM »

Sorry....
Yep......the same with virus software on or off

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 05:19:40 PM »

Experts more competent than I have already offered their suggestions and help........but one thing that does not seem to have been mentioned is the MTU setting in the router............I believe that having that too high an cause this and similar problems.

Can you check in your router configuration and, if the MTU size is not already at this figure, set that figure at 1400.

Does that help.?

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 05:29:28 PM »

Another question, are you on a static ip address or dynamic?
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

wehey

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 01:10:07 PM »

Experts more competent than I have already offered their suggestions and help........but one thing that does not seem to have been mentioned is the MTU setting in the router............I believe that having that too high an cause this and similar problems.

Can you check in your router configuration and, if the MTU size is not already at this figure, set that figure at 1400.

Does that help.?

Hi. I have looked into this and it appears that you can't change the MTU settings on a BT router :(
Pages: [1] 2

anything