Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Phone fault?  (Read 4668 times)

weezer

Phone fault?
« on: May 27, 2010, 07:35:51 PM »

Before I risk having openreach attend, any ideas re my problem welcome.
Bought cordless phone recently, plugged it in but it only rang once on incoming calls then cut out. Caller still would get ringing signal. Thought phone faulty (tried test socket) so got it replaced and tried again - same thing.
Luckily shop accepted it back for another model (they tested "faulty" phone in shop and it worked ok). New phone rings fine, however, on some calls the caller id works only for the first ring, screen then displays only 7s. Doesn't happen on all calls and the same number can call twice in a row, 1st time fine second time 7s.
Are these issues connected or is it just coincidence.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Phone fault?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 10:39:15 PM »

It certainly sounds like some sort of line fault, maybe an intermittent one. Do you hear any background noise on the phone?
  Eric

weezer

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 11:33:10 PM »

Unfortunately only got cordless to test but doing 17070 does reveal faint hiss and swear I can hear faint voices. Did the test at work to compare and contrast, completely silent.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 07:28:00 AM »

You can't read too much into the noises with a cordless phone. What you really need to do is plug a plain corded phone into the test socket for a while and see how that performs.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 09:34:23 AM »

Have you tried using a different microfilter (assuming your line is DSL-enabled)?

weezer

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 07:00:06 PM »

Yep, tried two different filtered faceplates and different micro filters via test socket. Away to invest in corded phone before trying customer support again. Curiously they seem to use windows event sounds as well as music while you wait in a cue. Very odd to hear xp shutdown tune when you're on the phone.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 09:55:59 PM »

Not filters, then  :(

The ring-tone heard by the calling party is generated by the network (usually at the called party's exchange), and doesn't actually guarantee that the called phone is really ringing, only that it's been 'told' to ring, by imposing 'ring' signals on the called subscriber's line.

As far as I remember (haven't researched to confirm it), CLID is passed to called subscriber as a modem-data-like datastream that precedes the initial burst of ring-tone, so corruption of that might well imply some kind of line-fault.   So probably best to disregard my interjection and follow Eric's advice.

Very odd to hear xp shutdown tune when you're on the phone.
:lol: