Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: AOL EMAIL  (Read 5021 times)

DeeeeeJ

• Reg Member
AOL EMAIL
« on: May 27, 2010, 03:22:04 PM »

I'm switching providers and it is 100% essential i keep all the email accounts on there.

If i switch providers can i still keep the email addresses?

Thanks.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: AOL EMAIL
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 03:35:46 PM »

You obviously need to ask AOL to be sure what their current policy is.
But I know several people who have moved to other services and retained their AOL email without problems.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 03:40:04 PM »

I know my brother-in-law switched from AOL to TalkTalk and retained his AOL email address,but they are part of the same group of companies,so as HP Sauce says,best to check with them

DeeeeeJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 03:57:25 PM »

Yeah, thought so, had a browse online and can't find anything definate. 

Seems to be mixed review.  I'm going to give them a call and ask them to put it in writing to send me an email, then if they do cancel i've got something to fall back on and get them to get it back. 

DeeeeeJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 04:31:22 PM »

Spoke to 2 different people there who both said you can keep the emails by simply logging on to aol.co.uk, however neither would send it me via confirmation email?

Hmmmm, i'm a bit errrrrm whether they are telling the truth. 

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 04:43:13 PM »

If a person can have a AOL account without AOL being the service provider then you most certainly can have an AOL email address. It's just the same as having Yahoo address or btinternet address. I have both a Yahoo address and a btinternet address because I used to have BT as my service provider. I migrated to o2 but kept BT as a dialup account. I now have o2 addresses as well. So I think you will be safe and still have the AOL addresses when you migrate.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

DeeeeeJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 04:47:56 PM »

That's what i thought, but as we know AOL seem to make up there own rules and brilliant ideas, and work different to everyone else.

The reason i'm so keen is because the emails are to do with my dads work and it would be impossible to gain the contacts he has again if they were lost. 

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 05:02:32 PM »

I've just been reading some reviews about AOL ie America On Line as it used to be. Nearly all the reviews were saying how difficult it was to cancel an account with them, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Even when you migrate to another provider you will still have an account with AOL.
One thing you can do after you have an email address with your new isp is send a message to all the contacts on yours and your dads contact list telling them the new address(s). They will have both then.

DeeeeeJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 05:15:44 PM »

I've just been reading some reviews about AOL ie America On Line as it used to be. Nearly all the reviews were saying how difficult it was to cancel an account with them, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Even when you migrate to another provider you will still have an account with AOL.
One thing you can do after you have an email address with your new isp is send a message to all the contacts on yours and your dads contact list telling them the new address(s). They will have both then.
It's also a problem with all the cards he has and adverts etc.

That's the major issue :( 

If they get rid of the email after there word they won't i will be a very unhappy bunny. 

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 05:26:46 PM »

i won't guarantee they won't cancel the email address(s) but I'm fairly sure they won't. :fingers:

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 04:46:14 PM »

Hi D...j,

I too believe you can retain your e-mail a/c as they advertise getting a free a/c no matter which ISP you're with.

If you have mission critical e-mail addresses, might I suggest you back them up rapidly, whatever else you choose to do ?

You can do so by using AOL webmail from www.aol.com, sign in, select e-mail, select contacts, click on tools and export as say a CSV file.
The result will be an Excel file downloaded to your computer.

Kind regards,
Walter

anything