Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: McAfee Incompetent Support  (Read 3374 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
McAfee Incompetent Support
« on: May 06, 2010, 08:56:58 AM »

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I renewed my subscription to McAfee,and everything is fine.I just wondered why I hadn't got the new 2010 interface.So I asked this question on the McAfee forums and was told it was because it was originally via Dell and they would be starting rolling out the upgrade very soon.
So just to check I emailed McAfee support and one of their support staff (Indian)called me and said he would help me do the update to the 2010 version.

He sent me a link and then after I clicked it on he remotely took over my pc.He then downloaded the McAfee removal tool,removed McAfee and then installed............the same 2009 version  :-X

This took about an hour from start to finish and he then said you will be getting the 2010 version in about a weeks time via Dell

I said what a waste of time that was and asked why he didn't check this before he contacted me.He said I am very sorry,your patience is appreciated.PATIENCE !!!

Once again Indian support at its very best  >:(

So I'm still using the 2009 version which is fine,but according to my friend who has just bought and installed the 2010 version it is a lot better

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: McAfee Incompetent Support
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 02:38:11 PM »

That's a terrible story, Uncle.  

I've just had a bit of a rant myself about Indian support, in a different thread.   I do sometimes think the Indian support centres have become a bit  an 'elephant in the room' with regard to their competence levels, but nobody wants to criticise them too loudly for fear of being branded a bigot or a Xenophobe.

I actually suspect it's no reflection at all on the technical talents of the Indian nation, I can personally testify the Indians are turning out some real top-notch software engineers these days, some darned clever people.  But the parent companies are clearly not employing  the most competent people, and  seem to think they can get away with anything when it comes to Indian support.

Edit: Xenophobe Not Zenophobe, Zen's rather well thought of on this forum :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 02:41:19 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 03:40:13 PM »

Hi 7LM,

I have been getting some useful info from one of the mods on the McAfee Forums

After I asked this question

Hi and thank you for your reply.Surely the McAfee support agent should have known/checked this before removing and re-installing the same product on my computer.?

His reply was.

Not necessarily.  I don't see how he/she would know what was available on any particular server at any given moment.   They were probably as surprised as you were at the outcome.

So I will have to take his word for it and sit tight.He did say though that the 2010 version had quite a few glitches in it and that was the reason behind the delay rolling it out to everyone.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 09:34:14 AM »

This is one of the very many reasons I moved from McAfee to Norton.

I've dealt with Norton Support both on Live Chat and Via email and they've sorted my problems in a jiffy.

(In your case Unc, obviously you've just renewed a subscription).

Have you tried clicking the "Go To My Account" button here:-
http://home.mcafee.com/Store/Downloads.aspx

There may be a link to the latest version there?
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 10:34:34 AM »

Hi Jamie  :)

Yes that was the route the McAfee support technician followed after removing my existing version.