Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Mail forwarding recommendations?  (Read 3114 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Mail forwarding recommendations?
« on: April 29, 2010, 12:30:14 PM »

I've quite a few domain names, registered with freeparking.co.uk, and for which I use freeparking's mail forwarding service to send received mail onwards for download from my ISP's POP3 service.

Recently it's not been very reliable, with some incoming mail failing to get delivered.  I've just discovered they have a limit of 10MB on attachment sizes, and that they may also block attachments with certain suffixes like .exe, .com, etc.  and that may explain some of the lost mail.

I could set up my own mailserver, but I'm reluctant to do so as I hate (security-wise) the idea of opening any firewall ports in the router.   Nor do I like the idea of mail servers running 24/7 in an empty house while I go on holiday.   I'm wondering if anybody can recommend an alternative mail forwarding  server that would provide an ultra-reliable service (some of my mail is commercially sensitive), at reasonable cost, and without any arbitrary (size, filename etc) blocking?

- 7LM

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Mail forwarding recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 09:52:27 AM »

Mailwasher is what I use and find it a excellent program.
Although it pays to login occasionally and check the spam box for mail "wrongly" identified as spam until a ruling has been set (which only takes one click "Not Spam")

http://www.firetrust.com/en/products/mailwasher-pro

As for extensions being blocked, quite a few ISP mail services do now block the likes of .exe extensions.
And as far as I know the only attachment size limitation is that which is set by your ISP.

pintosal

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 10:49:10 AM »

I have set up a hosting account with  UK Web.Solutions Direct and it costs about £4 per month.

With that you get lots of web space and mailboxes. See http://ukwebsolutionsdirect.co.uk/uk-web-hosting.php

You can also transfer your domain name and park it there.

As far as I know there is no filtering on attachments and your attachments are ultimately limited by the amount of web space. If you then retrieve with POP mail clients, or even GoogleMail, your mailboxes remain a manageable size.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 11:30:23 AM »

@Pintosal...  thanks I'll look into that.  

I suspect it may be overkill however, as I'm happy to stay with freeparking for domain registration, and I actually get my top-notch webhosting on by special arrangement  from elsewhere so I don't want to disturb that either.  Email final delivery is via  ISP (demon) which I'm also happy with, it's just that I want mail that's addressed to my personal .com & .co.uk addresses  to be forwarded to my .demon.co.uk address for final POP3 retrieval.

The freeparking control panel allows me to forward mail to demon exactly as I want, but it's flawed as it restricts attachment sizes and blocks certain attachment names, supposedly in the interests of anti-spam/anti-virus, whereas I want totally transparent forwarding .  But Freeparking also allows me to nominate any IP address I like as the mail server for each of my domains, in which case they (freeparking) never touch my emails,  so what I'd like is to find somebody who offers me an address for a simple mail server that just  forwards mail to my ISP addresses - no web hosting - no domain reg.

I'm not actually sure such a service exists.  Maybe this is a business opportunity for me to start one,  Dragons' Den here I come  8)

@oldfogy... as described above, it's the 'man-in-the-middle', who receives email for my domain name and forwards it to my ISP, that is causing a problem.  So ISP restrictions, or absence thereof are not really relevant, and nor is there any software I can run on my PC that will change anything.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 11:33:54 AM by sevenlayermuddle »