Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Netgear DG834Gv5 and "adslctl info --vendor"?  (Read 5689 times)

Gort

• Just arrived
Netgear DG834Gv5 and "adslctl info --vendor"?
« on: April 29, 2010, 11:12:32 PM »

I know that with the Netgear DG834Gv4 you can telnet into the router and use the command "adslctl info --vendor" to find the line card chipset, but with the DG834Gv5 this command doesn't exist. Can anyone tell me if there is a similar command for the DG834v5, because I've been searching and asking about this, but can't seem to find the answer? I've also tried catting the contents of the /proc directory, but haven't found anything that could tell me the chipset used by the line card that I'm connected to. Any help would be appreciated.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Netgear DG834Gv5 and "adslctl info --vendor"?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 07:19:27 AM »

I'm afraid I haven't any experience of this router, but I suspect that the information you're looking for may be in one of the commands in /usr/sbin. I believe there's a /usr/sbin/adsl command for example, which may furnish some information.

There's a longish discussion about this router on the DGTeam forum (but sadly no DGTeam firmware for it).

I don't think Netgear will give you any information about the telnet interface - on their forum recently, someone reported that Netgear had told him that using the telnet interface would invalidate the warranty. ???
  Eric

Gort

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 08:44:06 AM »

Thanks for the reply. I have tried the adsl command, but can't seem to get the line card chipset details. "adsl info" works and gives some line stats, but the --vendor switch doesn't do anything extra. The only thing I could do is try to find out if /proc has anything worthwhile catting, but I haven't had any luck with that.

Again, thanks for the help.

Gort

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 09:42:07 AM »

Edit: This was a reply to a post, but that post seems to have disappeared just after I started typing this and before submitting it.

Yes, that's already been done by me, but no joy (command isn't recognised). Below is the result.

Code: [Select]
/ # adsl --help
unrecognized command
-- adsl command --
adsl channel          Get adsl line rate.
adsl defects          Get defects data.
adsl down             ADSL line disable.
adsl info             ADSL info.
adsl line             Get adsl line data.(NOT IMPLEMENTED YET)
adsl margin           Show ADSL Margin and Attenuation.
adsl opmode           Get adsl mode.
adsl perf             Get performance counters.
adsl show             Show ADSL port status.
adsl up               ADSL line enable.
adsl uptime           Show the adsl trained time until now.(NOT IMPLEMENTED YET)
adsl version          Show ADSL modem software version.

I have tried a few of those commands, but again, no joy. I notice that "Not implemented yet" is frustrating. ;)

Thanks for the help.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 09:44:21 AM »

I have removed my last post which was wrong. However if you enter help after each command you will get a list of available sub-commands.
I.E if you enter at the command prompt [help] you should get a list of commands. Notice the absence of the dashes .From there you choose a command and on the same line enter help you will get a list of commands for you chosen commands. Sounds complicated, but it isn't.
It is standard practice in the Unix environment.
I hope this is of help.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

Gort

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 09:56:36 AM »

Yes, I know and have done that in the past (don't worry, I'm comfortable with Unix commands). No joy finding anything that'd bring up the line card stats.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 10:12:03 AM by Gort »

anything