Computer Software > Security

FREE SECURITY and HOUSEKEEPING TOOLS Updated 06-11-08

<< < (3/3)

soms:
I have a kind of strange liking for installing something like Windows 95 or NT every now and again on an old PC and hook it into the network and just "enjoy" that kind of back to basic feel where USB doesnt work properly or at all you have to use floppy disks for drivers and so on...

However the point of my post is how it is a pain in the backside finding any security software (particuarly firewalls) which will run on these older, perhaps even "legacy" operating systems. Thankfully AVG Avti Virus Free Edition still supports NT no questions asked, and works on 95 if you have DCOM installed and enabled. Apart from that my installations are rather insecure.

What is really iritating is how sometimes the system requirements are not clearly shown on the software producers website. Sometimes you have to download it first only to get a message about incompatibility or more annoying it installs and they at then a DLL file or some other error occurs.

Ah well, I guess the software market has nothing to gain by supporting older OS. It is frustrating as I couldn't care about a having recent software, just a firewall application which is fit for purpose.

What is equally frustrating is that I seem to care about such an issue. Dont worry, I am gradually getting out more.

pintosal:
Outpost Firewall V1 is well out of date.

Outpost Firewall V1 was the only free version from Agnitum. The developments have gone through V2, V3, V4, 2008 and are now at 2009.

Having been through all these versions, and seeing what's in the later versions, it only highlights what's missing in V1.

While V1 was fine it its day,  I would suggest one of the other free firewalls.

NEXUS2345:
This post is very much in need of an update. I might give it a go if I get any spare time. If anyone else is willing to contribute please do so.

roseway:
You're right, and some contributions would be very much appreciated. I'll add a note to the original post.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version