Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: can you help me  (Read 6916 times)

mike w

• Just arrived
can you help me
« on: April 27, 2010, 07:04:25 PM »

I have 3 strings of 3x10watt 12v hologen bulbs each on a 12v 30 watt transformer,i want to change to
mr16 led bulbs
i have been told that i can link all 3 stings to 1 transformer but will have to leave 1 hologen 10w as i have
to 20watt minimum from the transformer .
is this correct?

exo

• Kitizen
Re: can you help me
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 09:55:06 AM »

Transformers will often have a minimum rating such as 20 - 60 VA.
This means the minimum current to be drawn is 20 watt, whilst the maximum is 60 watt.
Check the VA rating on your existing transformer.

In your proposed setup, if the halogen bulb fails, then the setup is not drawing the minimum wattage through the transformer.
It may be better to replace your existing transformer with an LED power supply unit.
This may help.
http://www.bltdirect.com/products.php?cat=981

exo

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: can you help me
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 11:04:03 AM »

It may be better to replace your existing transformer with an LED power supply unit.
This may help.
http://www.bltdirect.com/products.php?cat=981

I'd agree with that.  The 'transformers' for most halogen lights aren't really transformers in the traditional sense, they are SMPS (Switched Mode Power Supply), and will only work properly if the connected device is within the design range of outputs.  Even it works at, or beyond, the edge of these limits the transformer could be under stress and fail prematurely, possibly damaging the LEDs in the process.

I've also a personal grudge against halogen transfomers as I've discovered mine contribute to DSL interference and so reduce my broadband speed, though that may just be my brand (can't recall what it is).   LED transformers would be designed for much lower loads, and so may be less inclined to generate interference.

LEDs also demand a closely regulated voltage level, and can be permanently damaged by over-voltage, which would be another reason to get something designed for the job.

anything