Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rewiring ADSL Connection  (Read 10949 times)

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Rewiring ADSL Connection
« on: April 27, 2010, 12:36:19 PM »

I am going to change my wiring not because there is anything wrong but moving computer to another location in the house.

This is my plan so far:

Install a adslnation XTE-2005 Master Faceplate and refilt phone wires as now.

Conect to the unfiltered side  and run a wire (external Cat6) out the wall and up to a bedroom terminating with a RJ11 socket outlet.

Connecting router to the RJ11 outlet.

Connect one port of the router to a Netgear 8 port switch that some computers will be connected to.

May run another cable from the switch to another location and another switch.

Is there a better way and is this OK?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Rewiring ADSL Connection
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 01:03:08 PM »

I wouldn't bother with Cat6 at all, total overkill.
Just get ADSLnation's professional grade ADSL cable, it's cheaper, suitably shielded and much easier to run as it's a lot thinner and more flexible (and inconspicious).
 http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=127

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 01:40:51 PM »

@ BritBrat,

Another possibility might be to consider installing the modem close to the master socket and distributing Ethernet signals around the house using the mains cabling and Home Plugs giving three possible connection points.

(Sorry if I've mentioned this to you before.)

Kind regards,
Walter

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 02:14:11 PM »

I am only using the CAT6 external to go up one floor on the outside wall, as that will control all connections I thought it would be best to have some future proofing.

Any internal I would use CAT5e or the adslnation as above.

@Walter,

My home has quite a few separate circuits and those plugs have to be on the same ring or so I believe.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 02:17:33 PM by BritBrat »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 02:40:53 PM »

I've just posted and then removed a post, which I instantly regretted.  So apoloogies if anybody already saw it.

The thing is, I've just reallised I'm missing something here...

@BritBrat.... why not leave the router beside the master socket, and use cat 5 cable located as you suggested, but let it carry ethernet from the router to the 8-port switch upstairs?

Then again, I'm sceptical about wether you're worrying too much.  There's probably already many thousands of feet of cable between you and the exchange, and another few feet of properly installed wiring between the master socket and the modem is unlikely to make a lot of odds.

- 7LM

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 03:12:43 PM »

I am only using the CAT6 external to go up one floor on the outside wall, as that will control all connections I thought it would be best to have some future proofing.
Personally I wouldn't mix signals as you risk cross-talk, and Cat6 (unlike the cable I suggested) isn't actually shielded.

And as 7LM has said, why not place the router by the Master Socket. (That's what I've done)

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 05:35:28 PM »

The reason I am doing it that way is totally none technical.

I don't think the wife would like a router and more cable in the living room :)

And the CAT6 will only have the one service running through it, i.e. no phone cables.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 05:38:14 PM by BritBrat »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 05:56:57 PM »

the CAT6 will only have the one service running through it, i.e. no phone cables.
In that case, why use it? The shielded ADSL cable is better in every way.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 05:59:43 PM »

The reason I am doing it that way is totally none technical.

I don't think the wife would like a router and more cable in the living room :)

And the CAT6 will only have the one service running through it, i.e. no phone cables.

In that case I would echo HP's caution about Cat 6 for DSL.

In theory at least (tho probably not in practice), Cat 5 or Cat 6 could even perform less well than cheap telephony UTP for DSL.  The main difference is in the rate of twists.  Cat 6's increased rate of twists will provide no benefit at DSL frequencies, but more twists mean longer conductors,  which means more resistance.

Then again, I'm aware many people swear by Cat 5/6.  It may be that the conductors are thicker, which balances out the increased length, but personally I've always stuck to normal cheap-ish UTP with no regrets.

The only real benefit of using Cat 5/6, in my view, would be if there was a possibility you were going to use the same cable for ethernet at some future date?

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »

Thanks, I may rethink what I do.

As for the adslnation wire I really don't want white going up the wall but I take your point.

I can always use the CAT6 for my (next project) CCTV system.

Is this cable the same but black?
http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=150&osCsid=6or4seqniiel5367oomdd69go1

Maybe not shielded.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 06:54:23 PM by BritBrat »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 07:49:35 PM »

@ BritBrat,

Home plugs are usually quite tolerant, provided you stick to the slower speed ones at about 80 Mbps.
I've used them successfully in two story houses across different ring mains. They will usually work from a single consumer unit with fuses or circuit breakers.
They do not like multiple consumer units nor surge-protected i.e. filtered sockets. Although it is not recommended, they will usually work in short extension leads as well.
One major advantage is that you can reconfigure your network just by moving the home plug to a different socket.

The bottom of this article lists the various Cat x cables:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EIA_568A

Note that both Cat 5 & 6 can be obtained as FTP (Foil Twisted Pair) screened cable which includes a bare drain wire. Special sockets are available to connect the earth (drain wire). IF the screen is to be earthed it MUST only be at one end. If ethernet cable is to be used outside, external grade black sheathed cables are a better idea. Long horizontal lengths in the open are to be avoided as they can be susceptible to lightening. Note also that, unlike BT's dropwire cable, there are no steel strain relief cores in cat 5 or 6 cables.

This company has a wide selection of cables and accessories:-

http://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/acatalog/Copper_Cables.html

One difference is that most of the Cat 5 & 6 cables use a solid core of about 24 AWG, whereas the shielded ADSL Nation cable is a flex with multiple thinner strands of conductor, but I don't know of its equivalent cross sectional area, nor its resistance.

I suggest its safer not to try and mix Ethernet and phone services in the same multicore. If you are using RJ11 plugs in RJ45 sockets the centre conductors must be used for the telephone pair. Note also that some WiFi antenna devices transmit power over the Ethernet on unused cores.

If you are intending to make off several cables then the following tool is invaluable. It allows the sheath to be cut cleanly and there is a core cropping blade which is ideal for terminating in RJ45 plugs.

http://www.millsltd.com/T70-9957-Fusion-Cat6-Twisted-Pair-Cable-Stripper.html

They have lots of other lovely boys toys as well !

Kind regards,
Walter

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 09:07:33 PM »

There's some useful links there, Walter.

Now, at risk (nay certainty) of adding further complexity...

One aspect that I'm not sure these links cover is the phenomenon known as 'skin effect'.  Basically, when you pass an alternating current through a conductor,  more electrons flow near to the surface if the conductor (the 'skin') than at the centre.   The higher the frequency, the more pronounced is the skin effect.   In order to propagate signals affected by skin effect, the aim is to increase the surface area of the conductor, which in turn is achieved by increasing its diameter, even though the inner part of a thick conductor contributes nothing at all to the flow of current at high frequencies.

Thus, a conductor may need to be a certain generous diameter to pass signals efficiently at frequencies such as Gigabit ethernet, whereas a much thinner conductor could be equally efficient for passage of lower frequency signals such as DSL.

I'm probably being pedantic by introducing that, but - hey - isn't that what forums are for?  (don't answer  ;D).

-7LM

« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 09:12:04 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 11:29:10 PM »

@ 7Lm,

Just to enlarge upon a different aspect:-

There is a similar effect on low frequency high voltage transmission lines. The skin effect is so pronounced on high voltage power lines that they have multiple cables held at specific distances with spacer bars.

On 275 KVolt lines twin cables are used and on 400 KVolt lines 4 cables are used. The actual conductors are thick soft-drawn aluminum which has limited tensile strength so the power lines have a central set of steel cores which have a higher resistance in any case.

However as you say these phenomena probably have very little to do with the initial discussion here.

Kind regards,
Walter

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 12:32:48 AM »

However as you say these phenomena probably have very little to do with the initial discussion here.

I don't think I said that in as many words, but I probably did mention it with a smidgen of mischief in mind  :blush:

In essence I was trying to further emphasise the point that  a cable with electrical characteristics that make it 'good' for gigabit ethernet may not necessarily make it a 'good' cable for ADSL, which is actually relevant to the discussion.

Or, for that matter, that  cable that is good for 275kV power lines would be good for either ethernet or ADSL  :)

- 7LM
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 12:50:57 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 09:19:29 AM »

I see what you are saying now.

Good point.

The same would apply to using it with cameras as you could get interference.

OK anyone know a good external screened and black CAT5E cable or could I just use phone cable, can you get the BT cable?

How about this one at Ebay?

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 09:24:56 AM by BritBrat »
Pages: [1] 2