Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Firewalls  (Read 2986 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Firewalls
« on: July 28, 2007, 11:59:27 AM »

Hi,bit of a novice here so apologies if this sounds simple.I have windows vista home premium,I have macafee anti virus,firewall etc installed,also windows defender and firewall,is it necessary to have both running.I have been told they can conflict with each other.Can having 2 running slow down my broadband.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
Re: Firewalls
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 12:05:21 PM »

Yes they can conflict with each other, as can more than one anti-virus applications.  Ditch the windows firewall and stick with Macafee.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 06:49:30 PM »

McAfee usually automatically disables the Windows Firewall in order to prevent such conflicts - are you sure that it is running  - or simply that it is present on your machine??

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 08:45:32 AM »

Hi Jazz,just clicked on windows firewall.It is turned on and says the following,Windows firewall and McAfee personal firewall both report that they are turned on.

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 09:56:14 AM »

In that case I would switch the Windows Firewall to Off.  You don't need to delete the program, just set it to Off then McAfee can do the job on its own. 

By the way, you may find that whenever Windows/Microsoft sends an update of any sort to your computer it also switches your Windows Firewall back on and you will have to turn it off again - the joys of Microsoft!

anything