Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Question on DLM adjusting snr  (Read 11755 times)

strontium90

Question on DLM adjusting snr
« on: April 18, 2010, 03:41:31 PM »

I've had a problem with noise on my line since January...The snr will suddenly drop 2 or 3 dB at any time of the day or night and remain there for anything from an hour to eight hors and then suddenly rise to what it was...

After much investigation, I have concluded that this was a REIN issue (which BTw refused to investigate as I had a "good" connection according to them)

I think it is an issue with a mains transformer (which hums if you stand below it) beside the phone line, for my electric supply (step down from 3 phase)..

Either that or a neighbour causing it, or crosstalk...

After much resyncing and changing routers, my target snr rose to around 21dB...(ip profile .5 meg)

My solution was to buy a Netgear DG834G v4 and Tweak my snr using DGTeamware and the Adslctl telnet prompt...I had an snr of around 6.5dB, sync speed of 4064kps (ip profile of 3.5meg) for around 3 weeks...this was optimum for my line, as when the noise kicked in, snr would drop to around 3dB, but the router didn't lose sync

Today, the router resynced at 5680kps with an snr of 1dB...obviously this would be unsustainable so I fixed it again..

My question is...did the dlm reduce my snr and because I had over-ridden it, it reduced it to 1dB...should I reboot the router now the snr is reduced?

Mick

• Reg Member
Re: Question on DLM adjusting snr
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 07:04:13 PM »

It looks like the target SNR was reduced by the DLM because you spent 14 days or so with not discernible errors on your line and no loss of signal.

I suggest that you tweak your SNRM back up to 6dB or so, because at night or when the noise increases for whatever reason, you may end up with a loss of signal, resync, a higher target SNR at the exchange and a lower sync speed as a result.
Regards,
Mick

strontium90

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 11:29:44 PM »

Cheers Mick.
I did all that last week and had everything running fine again ...until today...
Thunderstorm horror with 14+ resyncs in an hour...Have everything fixed again but another 5 day wait at the mercy of the DLM...urrrggghhh!!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 12:02:43 AM »

@ St90,

I wonder if a mains disturbance unit could be used to trip your modem supply in these circumstances ?

Kind regards,
Walter

strontium90

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 12:15:58 AM »

Walter...I don't want to add anything electrical (due to REIN/rain :D issues)...
Anyway, it happened to my sis as well today....it's well we all have Netgear DG834G's v4
Alex

strontium90

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 02:50:44 PM »

Things go from bad to worse....I did a bt speed test today and it appears they've moved me to the 2meg fixed rate...

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1856 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :4064 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps

Here are some stats from my Router
 WAN:   0 days, 16:44:37
 LAN:   0 days, 20:46:30
Noise Margin:     6.8   dB
Connection Rate:  4064  Kbps
Line Attenuation: 53.0  dB
Power:            19.1  dBm
Max Rate:         4608  Kbps
 How can I get them to reinstate me to the Dsl Max product?
I don't want to waste time to India

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 03:16:32 PM »

Hi Alex,

I doubt if you have been put on a capped rate but your recent performance has caused your IP profile to be downrated to 2,000 kbps.
If your line stays stable it should recover partially before too long. Hence no amount of Indish talk will help very much !

At

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm

look at the section "how long will it take" assuming you've chased away all the thunder storms !

Kind regards,
Walter

strontium90

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 03:26:41 PM »

Thanks Walter-
Unfortunately a telephone call to the Offshore BT technical help confirmed that I had indeed been switched to the fixed line, 2meg...
He said the problem would be escated after 10days and I would have to unplug my router then...he said I might also run into problems?!?
Will I be on a 10day rainig again or do I have to wait 10 days before that starts?
Alex

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 03:45:29 PM »

Unfortunately a telephone call to the Offshore BT technical help confirmed that I had indeed been switched to the fixed line, 2meg.

BT Offshore are renowned for talking gibberish.

I agree with Walter....it looks like you are still on a Max connection.

I believe a fixed 2meg connection would show 2272kbps downstream.

strontium90

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 03:56:42 PM »

Thanks Orangemed
Why is the BT speed teester showing range 400->2000kps, when it used to show 7150kps max....no...|I'm sure they have switched me and the guy confirmed it...how will I get back to DSL Max?
Alex

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 04:13:55 PM »

Why is the BT speed teester showing range 400->2000kps, when it used to show 7150kps max

Because a noise occurrence on the line has dropped your IP Profile down to 2000kbps.

It shows that range because the DLM has detected a problem i.e. 14+ resyncs/hour.

If the problem (noise) goes away then the IP Profile will begin to re-establish back to what it was originally before the 14+ resyncs.

strontium90

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 04:19:55 PM »

The guy confirmed I'd been changed to a 2meg fixed...the speedtester.bt result is different to any I've had before i.e. up to 2 meg...
I know that they can do this in incidences of extreme instability..

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 04:57:22 PM »

Hi Alex,

If you really want to establish whether your connection is capped you could obtain a 2Wire HGV2700 and look at the diagnostics page which clearly shows the capped rate.
You don't have to enter any user-name & password as it shows its data as soon as it's synchronised.

E.g for a half meg cap:-

http://www.scribd.com/doc/30203832/Top-data-2010-04-08-at-21-53-47

There are probably other modems others could tell you about as well.

Why is the BT speed tester showing range 400->2000kps, when it used to show 7150kps max
The BT speed-tester changes the words to fit the achieved speed, so given a following wind it should revert to 7150 in due course.

Kind regards,
Walter

strontium90

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 05:08:41 PM »

Thanks Walter
I have e-mailed Ian Livingstone and "he" asked what the technical dept said....it appears I have been changed to a fixed rate 2meg after all...I am waiting a further reply but it looks like I'm gonna migrate...does anyone know if I'm on Option 3 on an "up to 8meg" service that I signed up for, are they in breach of contract by reducing me to 2meg, or will I have to buy out the remainder of my contract?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 05:35:15 PM »

Hi again Alex,

I had stupidly forgot to mention that the BT speedtester page changes significantly when on a capped service.
The capped picture is from last year so the words might have changed a little. The important thing is that a capped service does not show an IP profile.

Kind regards,
Walter

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything