Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Java Query.  (Read 5037 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Java Query.
« on: April 16, 2010, 10:48:39 AM »

Hi all

I have just  un installed some previous Java updates,version 2,3,5 and 7 from the list below.I now have update 18 which is my latest one and one called Java (TM) SE runtime environment 6 which is as far as I can understand is the oem version that came pre installed on my pc.
Can I delete that safely and just leave update 18 installed.

I am a bit confused because when I run this speedtest it tells me that it needs and earlier version of Java,but at the bottom it says,the require version of Java 1.6.0 oem, is not the latest and may not contain the lastest security updates?
When I click run the speedtest runs ok,and I have checked that Java is working ok on my pc and it is.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Java Query.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 11:15:37 AM »

The ThinkBroadband speed tester doesn't really need an earlier version of java. I have update 16 on my Linux system, and it works fine with the TBB tester. I guess that something has caused confusion between your system and the TBB tester. My inclination would be to uninstall all the java updates and the original oem version, then install the latest version from the Sun Java download site.  But don't take my word. :)
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 11:26:47 AM »

Thanks Eric  :)

Tbh having just Googled the problem it seems I'm not alone,but there doesn't seem to be a work around other that un installing and start again.
I know Java is working fine on my pc,I have done the test on the Java site to check,so I might just leave it alone for the time being.

I do get that pop up every time something needs Java to run.I just click 'run' and it works fine

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 11:45:45 AM »

I have just un installed Java (TM) SE runtime environment 6 and its fine.When doing the TBB speedtest I no longer receive the above pop up message.  :thumbs:

Edit,It didn't work at first,but I then closed my browser and restarted,it then worked fine (phew)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 08:46:57 AM »

I have just tried to update Java to the latest (version 20) update but get this error message.Haven't a clue what it means

Could this be something to do with removing the oem version 1.6.0 which seemed to have been factory installed.?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 08:59:51 AM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 08:58:27 AM »

I would think this is something to do with the Vista User Account Control thing..................and would imagine that this process will run only in Administrator Account.

Are you running it in that account ?

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 09:02:05 AM »

I would think this is something to do with the Vista User Account Control thing..................and would imagine that this process will run only in Administrator Account.

Are you running it in that account ?

Yes it looks like I am running as Administrator.

What would happen if I turn the UAC settings off?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 10:17:12 AM by UncleUB »

scottiesmum

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 10:15:38 AM »

Unc  ....   

Does this help you at all    .....    hope so   :)

http://foxyurl.com/RsX

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 10:22:45 AM »

Thanks Kate,

still no wiser.

When I open the command prompt it says

c:\users\my name>

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 02:12:43 PM »

@ unkyUb...>>>>What would happen if I turn the UAC settings off?<<<

Nothing detrimental...........worth trying in this case to see if the update thing works with it off........then turn it back on.

How to at............. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Turn-User-Account-Control-on-or-off
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 02:41:45 PM by tuftedduck »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 03:30:47 PM »

Thanks TD  :)

I have always used my pc running as administrator and never had any problems.Usually what happens as you know is that the screen darkens and the UAC window opens saying 'A programme needs your permission to continue' and then just click 'continue'

That error screen is as though it asking you to run as administrator (which I'm already doing).

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 03:50:24 PM »

Update.

I went to the Java.com site took a deep breath and downloaded update 20.It installed ok.The UAC screen opened and said a programme needs my permission to continue,(Java Auto Updater)I clicked continue and it installed ok.

I then opened the Java control panel and clicked on 'update now'Instead of getting the error screen it took me to the darkened UAC screen and said that a programme needs etc,etc,so it seems to have worked

The only problem I have now,and I did have before is that when I open the Java Control Panel>update> advanced.I then change the date and time of the check for updates,click ok.It then shows me the date and time I have changed it to,so I click on 'apply' and close the control panel.
Trouble is when I open it again it has reverted back to the original date and time.  :shrug2:

I know this not a big problem,its just bugging me thats all
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 04:08:36 PM by UncleUB »

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 07:09:25 PM »

Hi

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg87/UncleUB/JavaError.jpg

Sometimes when you are asked to run in elevated mode ,then  what is needed is to right click on the shortcut /application icon select run as Administrator then it should work as normal  :fingers:

This sometimes happens even if you are logged on as Administrator. ???

Regards Jeff
zen user

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 06:54:24 AM »

The only problem I have now,and I did have before is that when I open the Java Control Panel>update> advanced.I then change the date and time of the check for updates,click ok.It then shows me the date and time I have changed it to,so I click on 'apply' and close the control panel.
Trouble is when I open it again it has reverted back to the original date and time. 

I know this not a big problem,its just bugging me thats all

Thanks to help I received over at C/A forums I have now sorted the niggling little problem out.

Went to.

C;\program files\Java\jre6\bin\javacpl.exe

Right clicked and ran the file as administrator,this opened the Java control panel,I then changed the date and time,clicked 'ok',then 'apply'.I then closed and re opened the Java control panel and lo and behold the date and time change had stuck and was as I wanted it