Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows Messenger Problem.  (Read 4058 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Windows Messenger Problem.
« on: March 23, 2010, 10:46:52 AM »

Hi all,

I have been using windows Messenger for a long time now without any problems,but today I signed in as and when my son posted a message,the messenger flashed orange on the task bar but when I looked he appeared to be OFF line.According to my son I am showing OFF line.,but according to me I am ON line and available to chat.

I have checked...File>status>Available. So that looks ok.

I am wondering since I installed malwarebytes and removed that bit of spyware yesterday,could that in some way done something

Edit. We are both talking to each other even though we are both showing off line to each other.The only difference is with every message it shows our email addresses as though we are off line..
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 11:10:22 AM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Windows Messenger Problem.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 02:14:08 PM »

I don't think this issue will be connected with the malware removal that you recently did, or the with the installation of Malwarebytes.

I don't know the answer, but could I ask which browser you are using to access Messenger ?
We know that Opera sometimes does not sit easily with Microsoft internet tools..........if you are using Opera, perhaps if you go to your site preferences and tell Opera to "mask as Firefox" that may help.

If you are using a different browser, I don't think I can help. :(

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 02:22:53 PM »

Thanks TD,

I have Firefox as my default browser,but also use Opera.You can launch messenger from the desk top without opening a browser.

I have asked also over at C/A forums and  the replies I have had state as you do that is unlikely to my caused by Malwarebytes

I've had this glitch with Messenger, but it has never prevented me 'talking' to anyone. It does tend to right itself in my experience, until it does I suggest you send a message to your son anyway, and if you are both on line you can chat just the same.

Googling the problem brings up lots of other sufferers, but no answer that I have been able to find

and

I had this issue yesterday myself!

It will right itself .. its just the servers messing up.
If it doesn't get back to normal after a few days let's know and we'll look at any other changes that might have occured recently such as an update to firewall etc?

So I will see what happens next time we chat.

We were still able to chat,but every time we posted a message our email addresses were also shown(just as if we were off line)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 02:29:52 PM »

Ah, seems to have been just a glitch in the system......( something not unknown to me at the moment  :D )

No doubt it will clear itself in time.  :fingers:

anything