Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Can I improve my stats?  (Read 3126 times)

mark45

• Just arrived
Can I improve my stats?
« on: April 04, 2010, 03:47:52 PM »

Hey guys. Very nice site.
Been reading and learning about ADSL Max since I was upgraded recently. Ranges from 1888 to what I am currently synced at:

DSL Connection   

Link Information

Uptime:   0 days, 14:26:49
Modulation:   G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   448 / 2,112
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:   23.77 / 350.73
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.0 / 16.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   31.5 / 61.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   17.0 / 12.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):   0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   49 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 1,732,857
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 204
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 59

Is there any way that I can improve my connection? Have been looking around and seeing products such as the "BT Broadband Accelerator" or the "XTE-2005 Master Faceplate"
Do these products actually work?

Currently I have router connected upstairs via internal extension wires...would I see improvement in placing router downstairs with one of these faceplates and ethernet upstairs?

Thank you for any replies.

Mark.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: Can I improve my stats?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 04:22:48 PM »

Hi Mark and welcome,

If you look here

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

you will see that you are close to the theoretical speed possible.

However all lines do vary.

As your SNR values seem a bit high, I would recommend connecting the modem to the master socket and running ethernet elsewhere.

It's well worth testing from the test socket within the master socket.

Also do make sure all bell wires are disconnected, but you don't then need an iPlate.

There's plenty of advice here on improvements but do ask if you get stuck.

You can experiment with other routers such as the 2Wire HGV2700 but it's unlikely to make dramatic improvements.

DON'T disconnect the modem too frequently as otherwise the line speeds can be reduced as the equipment thinks you have an unstable connection.

Kind regards.
Walter
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 04:32:36 PM by waltergmw »

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 07:46:14 PM »

Hi
As walter says your SNR margin is higher than the default 6db ( yours 12.5) this will be costing you some synch speed . It seems that your Target SNR margin  is at 12db. It seems you must have had some line problems or at least the DLM seems to think your connection has been unstable .

see further SNR explanation  .
and as well as the advice from Walter  ,more advice on  improving your connection

Regards Jeff
zen user

mark45

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 10:26:24 PM »

Thank you very much for your relies.

I shall put the router in the master socket tommorow and look at the ring wires sometime.

Would it be correct to say then, that if the ring wire is made redundant, than the i-plate and/or the other faceplate are not required?

There were two or three disconnections throughout the day yesterday, not sure if that has anything to do with it? Looking at stats now, the SNR is 10.

Also, could it be possible to purchase higher quality microfilters? Would this make a difference? The ones I use came with my router which is the SpeedTouch 585.

Many thanks.
Mark.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:31:14 PM by mark45 »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 12:48:36 AM »

Hi again Mark,

Much of the following is really repeating what you can find with the link Jeff has given you.

It's important to approach line improvements in a logical way, preferably recording all the steps you take with their results.
You should certainly start by eliminating all possible problems with internal telephone wiring. A significant number of problems are caused locally with poor, incorrect or star** wiring.
Assuming you don't have star wiring***, if you start from the test socket, but including your filter there, you have disconnected all your internal wiring so it can no longer interfere.
If possible leave it for an extended period in this configuration and observe the modem's performance.
** Star wiring is usually obvious if you have any internal or external junction box where one wire goes in and several come out.
*** If you DO have star wiring you'll need to remove ALL bell wires throughout the house

Without any ringwire the iPlate would make no difference at all. The filters supplied with the 585 are usually about as good as you can get, although you might just have a faulty one.
Unless the filter is faulty there's usually little to be gained by using others. (Except that at one stage some filters looked similar to a phone line splitter and some of those were of poorer quality.)
An integrated filter in the master socket such as those illustrated here look a little tidier but in my experience don't usually make a significant difference.

http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/index.php?cPath=24

Once you have proven your internal wiring it's then necessary to monitor the line itself. Routerstats Lite is a simple program which allows you to monitor both noise margins and the modem's sync. speed.
See:-
http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/log_routerstats.htm
A version is available for the 585. Leave it running whilst you do the following tests, and probably leave it ovenight at least.

Firstly do a 17070 option 2 quiet line test with a corded phone plugged into the test socket. As its name suggests you should hear nothing but the test announcement.
Then follow up with a couple of ring-back option 1 tests. You might see a 0.5 dB noise fluctuation a little while after dialling or answering, but it should not cause the line to drop sync.
If all these things seem to be correct just monitor the line for a few days.
You will see the number of hours from the last resync which you can then examine either by looking at the appropriate hourly file or by dragging the active line backwards.

Remember not to disconnect the modem frequently and to switch off the power supply before making any changes.

Good luck and kind regards,
Walter

Edit to add:-

P.S. These suggestions are offered after my practical experiences of four or five years helping a community with many long poor lines as you will see if you explore the posts here.
I too have learnt a lot over this period.
There are certainly differences in the components in some filters which you will see discussed in this splendid forum. However, apart from actual faulty filters, I haven't seen any one type being significantly superior to others.
Similarly there are many different modems; although some will work better on a particular line, there will always be minor differences. My experiences on some very bad lines is that the 2Wire seems able to hold such lines in sync when others can't.
You will find there are many opinions here so perhaps some others will offer more suggestions ?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:49:09 AM by waltergmw »

Derfeluk

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 06:02:39 PM »

Hi Mark...

Hey, I am no expert, but I have been through the mill with BT and Eclipse over sync speeds and IP profiles.
All the tests mentioned above try and then double try!

Briefly my problems started just after the first heavy snow in December 2009 (we live in the hills in North Wales ... very rural and remote with lots of trees in contact with the cables). Constant disconnections brought my IP profile down to 125kbs which is so slow that most pages time out! Eventually with a combined attack from Eclipse :) (who were absolutely fantastic) and myself on BT, and about 5 engineer visits they conceeded that it was their problem and not CPE issues. (They eventually found a broken connection in a connection box which was being knocked by a branch which is still there in contact. BT Openreach are now not allowed to cut wood... health and safety!!! Haven't they heard of hand saws!!!)
So now with a stable line and a sync speed of some 2500kbs I would expect a throughput around the same. Not on your life! Eclipse requesteda reprofile which got my IP profile back up to 1700kbs even thogh sync was around 2500. Super we though, then it snowed again, and the same hassle .... and it snowed and it snowed. Every time the same issues.
Eclipse still brilliant suggested I try a Netgear DG835GT instead of my Draytek 2600VG, because you can manually specify the SNR your line sync rate. Awesome! I eBayed and bought a Sky branded but updated to the latest firmware. Connected some 2 weeks ago and huge disappointment. No major improvement. I contacted Eclipse who directed me to a site wher you can download "Custom DG834GT Firmware". I installed that firmware..... Syncrate now 3440 and ip profile up to 2700kbs. Truly awesome improvement! ;D

ADSL Link                                Downstream     Upstream
Connection Speed                          3552 kbps          448 kbps
Line Attenuation                            53.0 db            31.5 db
Noise Margin                                     2.8 db            10.0 db

I have a stable line with SNR at times as low as 2.8db but normally around the 6.5db mark.... line rate has been steady for the past 10 days and we have had rain and winds. Things are looking good.
The router cost £39.99 .... best £40 spent in ages!

Hope that helps!

Regards
Fred
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 06:08:03 PM by Derfeluk »

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 06:45:33 PM »

Hi
quote There were two or three disconnections throughout the day yesterday, not sure if that has anything to do with it? Looking at stats now, the SNR is 10.

These disconnections are the probable reason that your Target  SNR has been raised . Have you started monitoring using routerstats as advised by Walter ?.
Regards Jeff
zen user

mark45

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 07:14:43 PM »

Hello.

Thank you Walter and Jeff for all links and comments (and explaining further!) And of course Fred - I may try and experiment with that router that you mentioned some time.

Unfortunately, I have not been monitoring my line due to the computer problems, have now reinstalled windows and will monitor now.

There has been at least one disconnection today and is now synced at 1,952kbps, before that it was at 2,560 or there abouts. I'm a bit concerned now.

I tried the test socket (on that day) and the ring wire had already been removed to my amazement edit: it also returned a value of around the same (1952kbps) when it synced and same SNR.
- turns out that my son had known about it and done it previously when I was on a fixed adsl.

Thought that I'd give an update.
Regards Mark.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 07:23:39 PM by mark45 »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 11:36:47 PM »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the update.

If you or your son have followed the suggestions above and proven all house wiring then it's time to investigate what is causing your line to drop.
Firstly check the quiet line and ring back tests whilst watching the modem lights for a re-sync.
If the line drops at that time you probably have a high resistance fault which must be reported via your ISP for BT Openreach to investigate.

If ithe modem doesn't drop immediately you have to run Routerstats until you can see the drop. These faults are usually caused by some form of electrical interference (i.e. REIN) assuming you have not heard any crackling on the line.
You should first try to correlate it with domestic appliances such as timed washing machines, central heating or water heating devices, or any other appliance being switched on.
If you cannot find anything in your house then again it's time to call your ISP to report a fault.

It is imperative that the cause of the modem drop is eliminated as it will continue to affect the performance of your modem.

Kind regards,
Walter