Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Low profile  (Read 2963 times)

JohnRYoung

Low profile
« on: July 27, 2007, 03:25:40 AM »

An old story from what I see here: flooded - damp mircofilter - bad connection - profile goes to 135 Kbps.
Replaced filter - connection back to 2.5 Kbps - profile stays 135 Kbps - call BT to tell them I don't want to wait 3 days with unuseable connection (I need  to use VPN for work). Now, 36 hours later, about 4 of those spent having inane and repetitive conversations with various people following useless support scripts, I end up being told that the problem is nothing to do with the profile*, but is because interleaving was switched on, that it has now been switched off, that the speed will be back within 24 hours and that the incident is now closed. My understanding (such as it is) is that interleaving would allow a faster rate in exchange for a increased latency, and could not possibly be responsible for the 135Kbps limitation. If that is so, what I have been told is complete nonsense. Am I missing something? I downloaded DMT, and that shows me that interleaving is still on, so at least that part of it was wrong. I also understand that the 3 day wait can be overriden by BT, although they are reluctant to do it.  Is that right? I have written an extremely nasty complaint to BT, but I could do with a check on these two points before I send it, if anyone out there feels like providing it.

*actually, from the conversations, one would have to conclude that either they had never heard of profiles, or that they have been expressly forbidden from acknowledging their existence.

PS - I am so glad I discovered this site/forum. It has just saved me from lapsing into totally insane rage.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Low profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 03:54:36 AM »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm presumming that you checked your IP profile from the Btw Performance tester?

If you have been given a low profile due to a bad sync then there isnt anything your ISP can do to get that increased and you do have to wait the 3-4 days for it to increase again.  The only time that your ISP can ask for it to be reset is in the event of a stuck bRAS profile.  A bt engineer can also request this after a visit to your home if theres been a fault.

Interleaving doesnt have anything to do with your IP profile - interleaving affects your latency not throughput speed and the 2 are entirely different things.

>> actually, from the conversations, one would have to conclude that either they had never heard of profiles, or that they have been expressly forbidden from acknowledging their existence.

From experience it would more appear that BT Support staff - particularly those in the Indian call center seem to have little idea what it actually is and what it does.  There does seem to be an extra-ordinary amount of BT broadband users who have problems getting suppost to understand their problem or what the bRAS/IP profile is and how it can limit throughput speed.

Your profile should rise back in line with your sync speeds 3 full days after syncing at the higher speeds. It may take an additional day for your ISP to act on the report from BT to adjust things their end too.  If it takes longer than this then there is a possibility that the bras profile is stuck. (although it does most often tend to get stuck at 2Mbps.).

>> Now, 36 hours later

It should be due to change back anytime within the next 24 hours.

----
Some additional info - the way the bras and IP profile works is all set to change in the next week or so and the 3 day thing will go out of the window.   In some cases it will be better for the end user.... but there are other instances where it can take longer.  I need to catch up on the new system myself yet on exactly how its going to work.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

JohnRYoung

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 11:03:11 AM »

As expected...
Many thanks.

JohnRYoung

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 11:28:05 AM »

Well!
Now only 42 hours after initial report, and I find that interleaving is off and profile is restored.
So it appears that turning interleaving off does force the resetting of the profile after all. So
(a) by this means at least it is possible to reset the profile inside the 3 days and (b) the
support staff know this works despite the fact that they don't understand why. With any
luck, and if BT do make this change, this story will become a thing of the past.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 11:42:35 AM »

Hopefully that will be it for the time being. I think it's most probable that turning off interleaving had nothing to do with the restoration of the IP profile though. It's not at all uncommon for profiles to rise automatically in less than 3 days. I seem to be one of the lucky ones, and on a couple of occasions my IP profile has come up in less than 24 hours.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 11:46:10 AM »

>> Now only 42 hours after initial report, and I find that interleaving is off and profile is restored.

From what you said earlier, by my reckoning, the profile was due to be changed last night/this morning anyhow.  
Interleaving is a separate configurable attribute independent of the Target SNR and also your IP profile.
Turning off interleaving is something that an ISP should easily be able to do as there is a specific setting in the DLM for that, and they just need to process a request to BTw.  Interleaving changes normally occur on the night after the ISP submit the request to BTw.  

Although I cant say for definite, but to me it looks like the 2 events are separate and just both happened on the same night.

Glad its sorted :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 11:49:32 AM »

>> and on a couple of occasions my IP profile has come up in less than 24 hours.

Like you I have seen a couple of lines that havent had to wait the full 3 days.
I think BTw have been "tinkering" with a few things over the past few months in preparation of the new changes that are due to come out soon.
-----

anything