Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL Slow Speed (but OK through VPN)  (Read 2281 times)

Feduz

• Just arrived
ADSL Slow Speed (but OK through VPN)
« on: April 07, 2010, 11:52:01 AM »

Hello everyone,

My situation is like this:

I have two phone lines, the first one works just find no problems, one day i decided to switch to another ISP as we had a special offer for employees inside my organization sadly it was a different ISP from the one i use....

Now after I accepted the new offer Ive put it on the second line without terminating my subscription on the first one just incase, now the problem is after configuring my router and deleting my old WAN settings I discovered that the internet is very very very slow i cant event open the speednet.net or when i try to login to facebook i only see partial of the website but the rest wont load it takes forever.

but when i connect to my work VPN using MS vpn connection (which btw my work has the same ISP not sure if this helps) I get the full speed for my DSL which is 2mbs but as soon as I disconnect Im back to which time dont move.

Ive called the tech. support they did some tests from their side but told me we dont see anything wrong from our side and replied that some routers may not be compatible with our system (which is wirless DLINK) ill get the model No. later cuz im writing this from work if its needed.

so any ideas what this may be? I have not tried to use another router yet, but it works fine on the other line, and i dont think there is something wrong with the line it self, so any ideas?

regards,

Feduz

orainsear

• Reg Member
Re: ADSL Slow Speed (but OK through VPN)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 10:00:10 PM »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It would be useful if you could post your line stats - instructions @ http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

Feduz

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 09:47:15 AM »

Item                           Downstream         Upstream       Unit
===                           =========         =======      ===
SNR Margin                      26                          29            dB
Line Attenuation              26                         14             dB
Data Rate                      2048                     512            kbps

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 09:54:23 AM »

Hi
Your very high SNR margin and data rate  seems to indicate that your DS is on some 2Mbps package .If so your ISP needs to sort it .

are these the only stats you have ?
Regards Jeff
zen user

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 09:58:21 AM »

Hello, Feduz, and welcome  :)

Just to clarify a point which may be relevant to those trying to assist with your problem, is the problematic connection in the UK, or elsewhere ?

Feduz

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 08:37:16 PM »

No elsewhere, Egypt actually, you were the first site which came out when i was searching for a solution....

here some info I collected:

wan
Stats-WIFI
Stats-Ethernet
Stats-ADSL
Log
adsl
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 08:41:55 PM by Feduz »

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 07:11:24 PM »

G'Day mate,

Are you on a fixed rate 2mb service? If so there was an issue a few years ago whereby our fixed rate home250 users had issues on IPStream but as soon as a VPN connection was connected the speed was fine.

It could be that all the data going over the line is being packet sniffed and hence slowing it down and when the VPN is connected the packets are encrypted and as such the packets cannot be sniffed and are passed through fine.

Also may be worth checking the line for packetloss.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

anything