Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Uploads fail - failure size varies, but always when file > 1.19mb  (Read 1763 times)

Zephya

• Just arrived

Hi,

First of all, many many thanks for a well laid out and informative site.
I am with BT on supposedlly 20Mb service.  I get 2MB with supposedly 0.5mb upload according to BT checker, but Talk Talk website guarantee 11mb on my line and I'm only ~450m from exchange.

Mostly I can live with that- but last few months uploads of photos to flickr, picasa and webmail all fail once file > 1.19mb and often > 244kb
Have checked firewall(s) and antivirus but not seeing any other errors than mysteriously failing uploads.

Pathping shows 100% packet loss on hop 4 to 5 ( 4 is 213.120.177.2 5 s 213.120.176.n where n between 2 and 100)
subsequent hop 6 seems ok 213.129.176.x ( where x is usually 178) seems to succeed - but by this time the upload seems to have failed

this is for all photo websites I've tried and for all webmail - outlook otoh can send the same file via email.

The error occurs before the official DNS is reached ( around hop 10 ).

I've tried alternative s such as OPENDNS and google public DNS  but they all hit the same error.

Am I correct in thinking this may be an an error at the exchange ( hop 2 is my router) .  Is there  anything further I can do to sensibly check the issue forr myself ?

My connection is plugged in at the iplate  and the issue occurs irrespective of whether firewalls are on or off.
MY moden/router is a Belkin FSD7632v1 - its 54g so should cope - but I do wonderif it's somethng silly like packet resizing that's causing the issue ?  I'm not sure whther the modem is new enough to support that.  Until 5 months ago had no problems with uploads using same modem.

Sorry for the lengthy post - anyhelp will be gratefully recieved - Thanks -  Zephya

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: Uploads fail - failure size varies, but always when file > 1.19mb
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 11:02:14 PM »

Hi and welcome
can you post your  line stats ? then we can see what connection you are getting.

and can you post a result using tracert from the command line

Regards Jeff :)
zen user

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
Re: Uploads fail - failure size varies, but always when file > 1.19mb
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 07:55:14 PM »

Is it always the same size when it stops?

This is usually the modems memory filling up and hence dropping the connection. It could also be related to wireless issues. I would suugest using an ethernet cable and then changing the MTU on the modem to 1500 and seeing how that goes.

I would also remove/disable all firewalls and A/V programs, then try uploading to an FTP site via command line FTP. This may shed some light on the issues.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.